Join now - be part of our community!

shutdown takes sooo long

raimundus
Visitor

shutdown takes sooo long

Hi,
got a Vaio VGN-FS515B Win XP SP2. And the shutdown process takes too long, sometimes nearly up to two minutes. Is there any workaround for this prob?

Is this a known prob

Thanx
raimundus

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

In my experience, Norton Internet Security is the biggest culprit for slow startup & shutdown. IMHO the free versions of AVG antivirus/antispyware & Zonealarm do a better job & don't hobble your system.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi raimundus and welcome to the forum.

I agree wholeheartedly with Rob about Norton Internet Security, but there is also another avenue that you could explore.

Click Start > Run and in the ‘Open’ dialog box type secpol.msc and then click OK. Under Local Policies > Security Options, scroll down to ‘Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile’ – if this is enabled, disable it (right click and select ‘Properties’).

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
raimundus
Visitor

Ok, I havent got Norton as it comes with so much other probs, so I'll give last hint a try.

Thanx
raimundus

raimundus
Visitor

secpol.msc cannot be found on my notebook.
What next?

Thanx
raimundus

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I don't think security policies are available on MS XP home... :thinking:

apierc1
Visitor

I am just wondering, is 2 minutes really that long :thinking: I think thats perfectly acceptable. The time should be linked to the number of background programs you have runing, such as Norton, and Microsoft Office etc. My old laptop used to regualerly take like 5 - 10 minutes, now that is long!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I don't think security policies are available on MS XP home...

No it's not Thalamus. I don't use Home edition but have just checked it out on another notebook in the house that is running Home Edition....

raimundus,
See if you can find any tips here.
I am just wondering, is 2 minutes really that long

None of my machines take longer than 15 seconds to shutdown.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I would give your Vaio a good going over with the free 30-day version of Tune-Up Utilities

I think the only way to do what Rich is suggesting is to remove the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value of 1 in the Registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
:wink:

apierc1
Visitor

I will make sure to get my stopwatch and time it when I close down tonight and then give you the result in the morning.