Join now - be part of our community!

SMART Failure predicted - A hard disc failure is imminent????

tonywitney
Visitor

SMART Failure predicted - A hard disc failure is imminent????

Hi all,

The last couple of days I have the following message come up on the BIOS screen on my Sony Viao PCG-FR285M: -

"SMART failure predicted on Hard Disc 0: HITACHI_DK23EA-40-(PM)

WARNING! Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disc drive. A failure is imminent."

Once I hit F1, the laptop runs through normally, after a minute or so, and then nothing seems untoward. I'm quite annoyed, as the hard drive was replaced by Sony (under warranty) in June 2004, but my standard warranty has run out.

Any ideas as to why this is occuring? The laptop has only been subject to normal usage, with good anti-virus software in place. Do I have a case with Sony?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
apierc1
Visitor

I would do as it says, well at least back up your data, maybe then do a complete restore, and then hopefully you can keep using it and have no problems, but have the back up if the hard drive does fail. If the hard drive was replaced over a year ago you are probably well out of any warranty meaning that extracting anything from sony will be as difficult as extracting blood from a stone.

tonywitney
Visitor

I would do as it says, well at least back up your data, maybe then do a complete restore, and then hopefully you can keep using it and have no problems, but have the back up if the hard drive does fail. If the hard drive was replaced over a year ago you are probably well out of any warranty meaning that extracting anything from sony will be as difficult as extracting blood from a stone.

Yes, I've been looking through the manual, as I had no back up discs. It transpires that I have to create a set of back up discs myself. The process looks fairly simple, but will the information contained on the back up discs include Windows XP, other loaded software and all the stuff from My Documents?

Do you think a system restore will fix the hard drive?? How does that work??
:thinking:

frannys
Visitor

Yes,if they are System Restore disks you make.Keep an eye on your Hard Drive,it is possable that it is just a read error that Smart is detecting,Computers do sometimes develope Ghosts occasionaly that come and go.However,I would Scan your HD for any Bad Sectors,if it finds any,then its definatly on its way to sudden death.The only solution would be to buy a new HD and put it in.

tonywitney
Visitor

Yes,if they are System Restore disks you make.Keep an eye on your Hard Drive,it is possable that it is just a read error that Smart is detecting,Computers do sometimes develope Ghosts occasionaly that come and go.However,I would Scan your HD for any Bad Sectors,if it finds any,then its definatly on its way to sudden death.The only solution would be to buy a new HD and put it in.

How do I scan the hard drive for bad sectors?
:thinking:

frannys
Visitor

Go to Majorgeeks.com and download one of the free diagnostic apps available.If you know what hard drive is in,then go to the manufacturers site and download the Drive maintenance software they provide.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would definately back that drive up though, that's priority #1

tonywitney
Visitor

I would definately back that drive up though, that's priority #1

Just called Sony Viao, the guy that answered (after 15 minutes at 35p per minute) then spent another 15 minutes asking other people for answers to my questions regarding the failure mode. What a waste of space! The only good bit of info he gave me was that there was the high possibility that the hard drive would fail, if I carried out a scan. The only option they have detailed is to send the unit to them for a hard drive replacement at £193. Not even any details on 'how to'. I'll try and copy the restore software from the laptop to discs, and then look at replacing thehard drive with another 40gb unit. Would any unit be OK, (i.e., samsung) and could I fit the 7200 version? Sony couldn't or wouldn't tell me!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi tonywitney,

he process looks fairly simple, but will the information contained on the back up discs include Windows XP, other loaded software and all the stuff from My Documents?

The backup disks created using the Vaio Recovery Utility will only return your system to “as delivered” – this will not include any third party programs that you have installed since purchase, or any documents.

There is no alternative for third party programs other than a re-install after the recovery process.

You can move My Documents to the C drive prior to restoring and during the restore procedure only choose to re-format the C drive. I would make a backup anyway.

Generally speaking any hard drive up to 80 GB with the same form factor (2 ½ inch) will fit and work in your model. Definitely go for a 7200 spindle speed.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tonywitney
Visitor

Hi tonywitney,
he process looks fairly simple, but will the information contained on the back up discs include Windows XP, other loaded software and all the stuff from My Documents?

The backup disks created using the Vaio Recovery Utility will only return your system to “as delivered” – this will not include any third party programs that you have installed since purchase, or any documents.
There is no alternative for third party programs other than a re-install after the recovery process.
You can move My Documents to the C drive prior to restoring and during the restore procedure only choose to re-format the C drive. I would make a backup anyway.
Generally speaking any hard drive up to 80 GB with the same form factor (2 ½ inch) will fit and work in your model. Definitely go for a 7200 spindle speed.

Thanks Rich. Just called Sony Viao again, they wouldn't give me the OEM hard drive make and wouldn't tell me whixh hard drives were compatible, even when I offered to give them a list. Unbelievable! He even went as far to say that Sony wanted the business! At least he told me the original operating system and software will be kept.

Anyway, I can't afford a 7200 RPM drive, so have sourced the following. Could anyone tell me which one would be the best (and most compatible)?

Seagate Momentus 5400.2 Hard Disc Drive 40Gb 8 Mb Cache UATA 2.5" x 1/8H 5400RPM (7cm x 10cm x 9.5mm)

Toshiba MK4025GAS 40Gb 2.5" x 1/8H 5400RPM Laptop Drive (7cm x 10cm x 9.5mm)

Hitachi Travelstar 5K100 40Gb 5400RPM ATA-100 8Mb Cache (7cm x 10cm x 9.5mm)

I'll have a go myself. I've done the recovery back up on discs, and have also copied My Docs onto separate discs. I don't have anything in the way of extra software loaded, just my wireless stuff, which can be done after I've replaced the hard drive.

Any 'must do' info on replacing a hard drive would be appreciated!