Join now - be part of our community!

New VAIO

profile.country.en_GB.title
zebracar
Visitor

New VAIO

I am trying to find out a few things about my new Vaio VGN AR11M - on the whole it is OK but I have two problems. First I do not seem to have infrered operating, there is a port for it but my telephone is not detected and there is no infrared port listed in the Device Manager - any ideas as to how I activate this? Second problem is the volume - it is OK but not really LOUD - and I am no spring chicken any more so I have turned up volume to max in BIOS and as far as I know it is switched to max everywhere else but I dont get ear splitting volume or anything like it., If I watch a video I find I have to concentrate to hear the sound clearly so any help thgere would be appreciated. I would speak to Sony directly but it would seem that they do not want to make it easy for me to do so. So any help/advice will be much obliged.

Many thanks

Simon

6 REPLIES 6
robpaxton
Explorer

Infra-red serial ports are a thing of the past and are now classed as legacy devices - if you need an infra red port then the only option is a usb device.

The best way to get any sort of decent sound from a Vaio notebook is either to connect it to your hifi, headphones, or active PC speakers.

zebracar
Visitor

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comment - with regard to the infra red port there is one on the machine - and my phone uses infra red to connect to my other older lap top - am I to understand that really I ought to upgrade my telephone to one with bluetooth? I will look out for a set of PC speakers.

Thanks again

Simon

Melonfarmer
Visitor

Hi Rob,

If you mean the infra-red port at the front of the machine, then it's not really an infra-red port as in a communications port like the old days, it's only for the remote control so you can control the media centre features of the laptop

Regards

zebracar
Visitor

Ok, now I understand - so a blue tooth telephone upgrade will be required - is all this constant change and upgrade a useful thing?
Thanks anyway,

Simon

robpaxton
Explorer

Bluetooth is much faster and a lot more reliable than the old infra-red ports. You can get and external IR port if you really want to stick with it. See this link for some examples.

kee-lo_

I hear it's not that safe though