Join now - be part of our community!

Smart-failures

goldfinger
Visitor

Smart-failures

Hi there,

Had my FR105 for about 15 monthes now. For the third time now,I keep getting a S.M.A.R.T.-failure on startup. The drive has been replaced twice already, the last time being about 2 monthes ago.
Anyone else having these problems? Is it some kind of construction error in the laptop (overheating the drive maybe?) or a bad type of drive?

4 REPLIES 4
VAIOneer
Visitor

Where is the drive being replaced (ie. is it from Sony, or another company, or are you doing it yourself?).Also it could be a problem with the controller (if you've had it replaced a few times) as it might be misinforming the BIOS of the HDD failure

noun
1. a Club VAIO member who is one of the first to do something.
2. a Club VAIO member who helps establish a community.
adj.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of early members: the VAIOneer spirit.

goldfinger
Visitor

Thanks for your answer.

The drive was replaced by Sony both times. Their service so far has been perfect, so no complaints from me. (They even replaced the screen because there was a dead pixel, even though I hadn't asked for that)

What I'm worried about is first of all the possibility of sudden data loss and the hassle of being without my computer. (First time only 4 days, second time 2 weeks.) Also of course, what do I do after the warranty runs out.

Maybe this time something else will be replaced in stead of the drive. I'll have to wait and see. I was just wandering if this problem is specific for my own computer or for the type FR105.

VAIOneer
Visitor

Never had a FR series so can't say.If its been replaced by Sony, and your PC is under warranty, give them a call and explain that the drive has been replaced numerous times but with the same outcome in the end.Also, I would definately keep a backup of your data, just in case Sony have had a duff batch of HDDs !!

noun
1. a Club VAIO member who is one of the first to do something.
2. a Club VAIO member who helps establish a community.
adj.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of early members: the VAIOneer spirit.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Once the warranty runs out I would have it insured.