Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Battery problems type VGN-BPS3C

kpp1
Visitor

Sony Battery problems type VGN-BPS3C

As many other before me, I have a problem with my battery too. it's a VGN-BPS3C and of course as it is not part of the offical series of batteries with admitted problems, Sony refuses the replacement. Having a battery which dies totally only after 7 month, its not normal at all. But it seems that there must also be first an explosion or fire on this series before Sony will admit that this serie has problems too and then perhaps also recall it. Hopefully there will not be any serious incident even if it would be helpful for us in order to get reimbursed for the new battery we have to buy.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I fail to understand your assumed association between a failing battery and the safety issues of some Sony batteries as the two problems are totally unconnected. I can however comprehend your frustration at the short life of the battery.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kpp1
Visitor

My problem ist that nobody can tell me that it is totally sure that the two problems are not connected. When you look at the official Sony statement where they said that the batteries could catch fire in rare cases when microscopic metal particles come into contact with other parts of the battery cell, leading to a short circuit. Typically a battery pack will shut down when there is a short circuit, but on occasion, the battery could catch fire. So of course I immediately think that as my pack obviously shutted down after only an unusual few month of usage, it perhaps could also have lead to worse.

kpp1
Visitor

in the meantime I figured out the problem and it's even worse. I dismounted my batteryand I found that the lithium cells are totally fine and completely charged. So its the electronic device of the battery which failes. So it would be normal that Sony replaces the device as it is not a defect of the cells. Cells are consumerals so a six month garanty seems to be normal, but electronic circuits should have the same garanty of one year as the laptop.