Join now - be part of our community!

Sony DW-D56A - broken.......

euripyd
Visitor

Sony DW-D56A - broken.......

I have problem with Sony DW-D56A CD7DVD player on my Vaio VGN-FS195VP, and I have tried everything to fix it (other posts on this forum), but without success...

Is it possible to replace the drive by myself?
To buy one in the store and to replace. Is it difficult?
I am not an expert, but I have installed a lot of hardware (modem, HDD, optical, soundcards, memory) on stationar computers, but not laptops.

Your experiences????
Idea?

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi euripyd,

The DW-D56A is known to be a donkey of a drive! The preferred replacement for this drive would seem to be the DW-Q58A, similar specification and transferring the front bezel should not cause a problem. PC World markets this drive a cost of less than £50 plus delivery.

The only disassembly instructions that I can find for the FS series are here.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
euripyd
Visitor

You think, it should be just Sony, or any other drive can fit?
I am scared right now about their drives...
A bit scary, you think, no great knowledge is necessary to do it?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Most slimline drives will fit but transferring the front bezel will undoubtedly present you with problems unless the drive is from the same range.

Incidentally the DW range is not manufactured by Sony – they are rebadged LiteOn drives.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds like a terrible phenomina

euripyd
Visitor

Hi euripyd,

The DW-D56A is known to be a donkey of a drive! The preferred replacement for this drive would seem to be the DW-Q58A, similar specification and transferring the front bezel should not cause a problem.

How can I be sure that this one drive will not die as the DW-D56A???? :slight_frown: :slight_frown: :slight_frown: :thinking:

euripyd
Visitor

I see that front panel (door) of that drive is not the same as on the computer.
Is it possible to replace it, to remove from the drive that is in the computer and to put on the new one?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If the old and new drives are both from the DW Series, you should be able to change the faceplates over.

:wink:

euripyd
Visitor

I am ready to buy one, and replace it by myself :smileygrin:
You have mentioned DW-Q58A.
I have seen another Sony DW-Q78A and DW-Q520A
Well, higher number, maybe better?
Blencogo, what do you think??

From the bottom side there is just one screw in the area of the drive, is that one for the drive? Or I have to unpack all the computer (as on the link you have provided)?
I believe that just one screw is enough... Or? :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi euripyd,

I'm not sure - but as you say the higher the number, usually the newer the drive.

Like Rich, I can't find any detailed instructions to replace the cd drive on a FS-Series. The only one I can find is for an older FX-Series - HERE - this shows it fixed by only one internal screw but I'm sure many Vaios use two screws.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

:thinking: