Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Firmware Extension Parser will not install for Windows 8.1

TopCat_JL
Explorer

Sony Firmware Extension Parser will not install for Windows 8.1

Hi All,

Since Installing a new OS - (Windows 8.1) and then installing all the drivers listed on the page for my VPCF23C5E (http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCF23C5E/updates) I have had a Base System device unknown. (there are no drivers installed for this device)

All forums suggest that this is the RICOH memory card controller and to intsall the Sony Firmware extension parser - I have found this required driver at this link which give a small program that supposedly installs the required drivers? http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVD1121Q2EB/downloads/SODFEP-00270203-0082_6599

However it does not matter how many times I run this program it does not seem to update the drivers - Does anybody have the basic drivers or know how to get the drivers out of this program so I can manually install them?

Thanks in advance to any and all who respond :slight_smile:

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi TopCat_JL and welcome.

I suspect the SFEP driver is already installed.  If it is not, there will be an 'Unknown Device' showing in Device Manager under 'Other Devices.

The Ricoh MemoryCard driver is not included within the SFEP driver, but the SFEP driver must first be installed before you install the Ricoh drivers.

Therer are no 8.1 drivers but there are Windows 8 Ricoh drivers on the download page for your model here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCF23C5E/updates

Look under Latest Downloads -> Windows 8 -> Driver and you will see two Windows 8 Ricoh Memory Card Read/Write Upgrade Drivers - one for MemoryStick and one for SD cards.

Hopefully these two drivers will install but if they do not, it is possible that these are UPGRADES to existing drivers only.  If this is the case, you will need to go to the same link as above -> Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities -> Windows 7 and install the original Ricoh drivers and after this, try the Windows 8 Updates.

I know this is complicated but Sony do not support a clean install of Windows 8 or 8.1, only an upgrade which preserves the existing Windows 7 drivers.

:thinking:

TopCat_JL
Explorer

Dear Blencogo

That has solved half my issue THANK YOU! it took two attempts at installing both but I have succeeded. I am left now with only one issue which I hope the community can help me with? This is related to Intel(R) HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Interface Controller - 1C49.My device manager is telling me the drivers are not installed lol - Am I right in saying that this is the firmware extension parsar? I think it is asking me for driver ACPI\SNY5001

Thanks all in advance

James

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi James.

Yes, that is the SFEP Driver not installed!

I would probably try installing the SFEP Windows 7 driver supplied for your model here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCF23C5E/downloads/SODFEP_00224384_0042_5878

Follow the instructions carefully.

I hope this will work - If not come back and it may be necessary to install SFEP from within Device Manager using 'Update Driver'.

:thinking:

aerowisp
New

Hi

I have reinstalled windows professional 8.1 onto my computer.

There are also two devices which show as "unknown device"

Also, the Sony Firmware Extension Parser - it seems to just hang

I tried to find the drivers in the link above, but cannot find them

My computer product is SVE1713C5E

Any help would be appreciated

Best Regards

Aris

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi aerowisp,

Here is a link to Win 8.1 SFEP driver for your model:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-comp/EP0000313012_9058/SVE1713C5E

We will need more details of the ‘unknown’ devices to point you in the correct direction for drivers fror these.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
aerowisp
New

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your reply.

I have already tried to install the driver which your link refers to, but the install just hangs.

The two unknown devices are showing as:

Device type: unknown

Manufacturer: unknown

Location: on Intel(R) HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller - 1E59

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Best Regards

Aris

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi aerowisp,

Which operating system did your notebook ship with and did you follow Sony’s upgrade guidance or did you go for a clean install? Sony does not support a clean install of Win 8.1.

There could be a number of reasons why the SFEP driver fails to install one of which is that the 8.1 SFEP driver on the support site is an upgrade that requires the original driver to be in place (which it would have been if you followed the upgrade guidance). Another reason could be that there are dependences that are not in place if you carried out a clean install.

You could try installing the original driver for whatever OS came preinstalled.

I have no idea what the unknown devices are but have you tried installing the original Intel Chipset Driver?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
mehtjig
Explorer

Hi aerowisp,

I was facing the same issue and came searching for a solution. I installed Win 8.1 clean and SFEP would not install.

Solution: I used Universal Extractor to extract the driver files from the .exe file from Sony. Once extracted go to device manager and point the sny5001 item manually to the extracted driver folder. Worked and got rid of the yellow exclamation.

This clean install of Windows 8.1 is turning out to be significant work, there were video driver issues to resolve too...

Anyway hope that helps.

MandyJoy
Explorer

The filefor windows vista does NOT contain an exe file?