Join now - be part of our community!

Sony K series K315M - Ram is DDR2100 or DDR2700?

simtub
Visitor

Sony K series K315M - Ram is DDR2100 or DDR2700?

I want to upgrade the standard 512mb to 1024mb and i've been confused by the specs. On the official laptop box and online specs, it says the ram is DDR2100 266mhz but I opened up the laptop base and the preinstalled ram is Samsung DDR2700 333mhz. This is really confusing as other retailers sometimes specify it as 2700 where as others 2100 for the same K3XX series model range. Can someone clarify what the actual speed this particular laptop model can take and whether if the preinstalled ram at 2700 is not actually running at full speed with it really to be 2100?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
TygerTyger
Visitor

Well your exact model isn't on Crucial yet, but it says all other K-Series models shoul use 2700 RAM so I think it's a pretty safe bet that yours should too.

magnumopus
Visitor

Fitting higher spec Ram will be fine, it will just run at a the lower speed. Sometimes the difference in ram prices between slightly different specs is almost nothing and because of bulk buying and the world market being so volatile sometimes higher spec may be cheaper at the time. The amount someone like Sony must buy at a time is mind-boggling.

I have the same machine and according to the side of the box it is 2100/266. I suspect some places are looking at the ram and making their own judgements without checking or just plain making a mistake.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yep, running 2700 RAM will just mean it will run at 2100 if it cannot handle it.

simtub
Visitor

Fitting higher spec Ram will be fine, it will just run at a the lower speed. Sometimes the difference in ram prices between slightly different specs is almost nothing and because of bulk buying and the world market being so volatile sometimes higher spec may be cheaper at the time. The amount someone like Sony must buy at a time is mind-boggling. 

I have the same machine and according to the side of the box it is 2100/266. I suspect some places are looking at the ram and making their own judgements without checking or just plain making a mistake.

Hi, it's just that I opened the laptop base where the memory slots are contained and the RAM dimms that came with the system are actually labelled DDR2700 ones prefitted.. that's what confused me.

magnumopus
Visitor

You'll probably find that Sony bought one big lot of 2700 rather than some 2100 and some 2700, cheaper in bulk, economies of scale and all that. :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You'll probably find that Sony bought one big lot of 2700 rather than some 2100 and some 2700, cheaper in bulk, economies of scale and all that.  :slight_smile:

Wouldn't suprise me.