Join now - be part of our community!

Sony lied about spec!!!!!! MY usb ports are not 2.0 like it should be on sony spec!!!!

Awong
Visitor

Sony lied about spec!!!!!! MY usb ports are not 2.0 like it should be on sony spec!!!!

I have a GRT816S and Understand that it comes with a USB2 port but they all seem to transfer at 1.1 speed. Why?

So I bought a pcmcia usb 2 belkin adaptor and that works fine transfer at high speed yet when I try using my laptop ports it transfer at 1.1 speed >:(.

My laptop is a year old what can I do? can I still complain to sony?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Awong
Visitor

Also my DVD-RW drive doesn't seem to read any DVD-R it burns even the ones it use to, these DVD read on my desktop which is a IBM with a Pioneer 109.

Very disappointed with sony's build quality!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

The USB ports on your model should support high / full / low speed.
I suggest that you try re-installing the chipset drivers (possibly Intel).
If you download and run Everest Home Edition (free) it will identify the chiopset and also give you a link for downloading drivers.
Best of luck.

Everest Home Edition

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
TheCrow
Visitor

sony not lie you ...
where u buy ur sony ? from Official site ? or Official Sony Store ??
or from another store ?
report ur problem to anywhere u buy ur laptop !

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Consumer law is on your side if Sony sold you a PC on the basis of it having something that it subsequently turned out not to have.

This would inevitably come under the 'description of goods' clause - in other words selling something that ultimately failed their sales promise.

If it was a shop assistant who told you that the PC had USB2 ports you might be on sticky ground as it would come down to his/her word against yours. However, if there is documentation supporting the claim - such as a manual or point of sale litrerature) that it was USB2 enabled you have a very strong case.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Does the Belkin card work?

robpaxton
Explorer

The GRT 816S does have high speed USB ports - it's probably a driver issue . . . .

Awong
Visitor

the usb2 belkin adaptor works.

Trying to sort out chipset drivers to see if laptop really has usb 2 ports.

It states on the user manual that I have full speed ports.

Awong
Visitor

oh bought the laptop from pc world in the UK

kee-lo_

As the others have said you just need to reinstall the drivers