Join now - be part of our community!

Sony PCG-7183M Overclocking/Advanced Bios?

profile.country.GB.title
HarryCarr
New

Sony PCG-7183M Overclocking/Advanced Bios?

Sorry, it's kinda an old pc. Does anyone know how to access the advanced bios, if so do you know any extra info for overclocking it? I am a gamer but this is my only pc and it's struggling with simple games like Minecraft nowadays. Also, does anyone know the exact release date of the laptop? Thanks a lot, Harry Carr

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Harry and welcome.

PCG-7183M is the chassis identification for a series of 15.5in Vaio laptops with a wide range of CPU, GPU, HDD, RAM specifications.

To identify the exact specification requires the correct Vaio model ID which will be something like VGN-NW26M. This appears on the screen surround, Vaio Control Centre and the BIOS. You will need this to access any sort of support/downloads from Sony.

Generally speaking, Sony locks down the advanced BIOS which cannot be accessed. Performance limitations are as likely to be RAM and GPU related in addition to CPU clock speed.

profile.country.GB.title
HarryCarr
New

Ah. That's a bit annoying 😛

Do you know any workarounds to the lockdown problem?

The model number is: VGN-NW26M

I has an iGPU by the way. 4GB DDR2 Ram and I believe a Core 2 Duo

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Harry

The VGN-NW26M has an Intel Penryn Core 2 Duo processor T4300. This uses the popular Socket P so can be upgraded to something like the T9900.

However, it is not the processor that limits gameplay it is the graphics. This model has Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics included in the Intel chipset. This was designed to run Windows and play videos and will struggle to provide an acceptable frame rate with any modern games. You can check online which games will play OK and get some hints on settings. The 4500MHD graphics have no dedicated memory like dedicated graphics cards and so increasing the RAM from the current 4GB to the maximum 8GB may help a bit as you cannot upgrade the graphics chip.

Good Luck!

profile.country.GB.title
HarryCarr
New

Thanks for all the support! Sorry, I have another question...

Is there a way to add an external graphics card? I know you can if the laptop has a USB-C but I have no idea with older computers. Also, do you know when the computer was released?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you look for your Vaio on Sony Support's website here:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/laptop-pc-vgn-series/vgn-nw26m/downloads

You will see that the original drivers date from late 2009. These often predate the laptop release, so I would guess that it was released in early 2010 with Windows 7..

I don't know much about external graphics cards except that they are very expensive (£300+). As you say most use USB-C or a Thunderbolt connection. USB 2.0 versions exist but I don't know if they are any good or worth the cash.