Join now - be part of our community!

Sony PCV-LX2 - Screen Problem

profile.country.en_GB.title
ka-flau
Visitor

Sony PCV-LX2 - Screen Problem

I've had the LX2 since it was released all the way back in 2002.

I am experiencing problems with the 15" TFT screen recently where when it starts up it's very slow at starting, then there is a pink hue then a few seconds later it's fine.

Is this a sign of the light tubes inside going?

Is there a way for this to be fixed?

OR does anyone else have or know of a LX2 TFT screen going? I've looked on eBay and all over the web with no success.

If you do not know that the LX2 was one of Sony's first Lifestyle PC's.

It uses a special connector for the TFT screen, anyone know it's possible to connect some other monitor to it? I know it;s not a standard monitor D port or a DVI.

I love this PC to bits, it's running great even after all these years! I don;t want it to die :cry:

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi ka2cu - Welcome to the Club VAIO Forum.

Can't help much but the connection to the monitor is the standard DIGITAL FLAT PANEL (DFP) PORT

EDIT: I've found a DVI TO DFP CONVERTER which means you can connect any DVI Digital Monitor.

:slight_smile:

kee-lo_

Sounds like the inverter might be on it's way out

vaio-freak
Visitor

I know that the LCDs supplied with LX series were plagued with black lines defects and Sony aknowledged it worldwide and agreed to repalce it for free. You can read more info here in Japanese and see pics: http://vcl.vaio.sony.co.jp/iforu/hotnews/2005/04/003/index.html
There is also some info about it on the US site (not sure if EU site has it listed too).
But, your problem does not really sound like the above.
As for the adapter mentioned in the other thread, I could not believe my eyes that there is one that actually exists! I was 100% sure that it was Sony's proprietry connector. I used to own LX920 PenTablet and loved it to death as well. I would love it get hold of it someday too and use the LCD with my VAIO MXS.
If you love LX series, check out the latest VGC-LA series just released in Japan! It simply rocks!

Beautiful! Hope Sony brings it to the US and Europe!

ka-flau
Visitor

WOW! Thank you guys! I thought I never get to solve my little problem.

DFP connection, thats great thank you!

As for the just released L series in Japan - Wow, I do hope they bring that to the UK, just stunning.

I've been thinking, if my display does die and I buy a DFP to DVI converter, I might as well just get a new and better graphics card too in the PCI slot, is that possible? I've only upgraded memory and USB 2 to date.

I thought I was a Sony nut... You guys are VAIO mad! :cool:

vaio-freak
Visitor

I doubt you will be able to upgrade graphics card, unless you will be able to disable the onboard integrated graphics.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I suppose you need to establish if your nVidia GeForce 2 MX graphics are integrated or on a PCI card.

:thinking:

ka-flau
Visitor

I'm sure it's an integrated graphics.

I was told in college that you are able to disable the graphics card to run one from the PCI... How I do that I haven't a clue!!

I think the LX2 only has a PCI and not PCI Express, so I'm limited to about 128/256mb graphics card anyway. Better than the tiny 16mb which is in it now.

Also thinking of getting a 1440x900 screen so I'd like to run that too.

Lots of research to be done later!

kee-lo_

It is integrared from what I understand