Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Recovery Utility with VGN-FE41M

dennisgoehmann
Visitor

Sony Recovery Utility with VGN-FE41M

Hi there,

just wanted to make a set of recovery DVD's with Rcovery Utility. For that I wanted to use some high quality discs by Verbatim. Unfortunately the process is being stopped while burning the dvd's. Yesterday the program destroyed FOUR dvd's. Only a single DVD was burnt. So I went to the shop where I bought the discs and changed them. This time it were Verbatim DVD-R. Before I used DVD+R. Now the same issue here. Sometimes the process is being stopped while burning the lead in, sometimes at 58%. Then I tried very cheap dvd's. And it worked. But I don't think that I always want to use these cheap discs...
Is this one a known issue? Shall I bring my notebook back?

By the way: OS sadly is Vista of course...

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi dennisgoehmann,

It's be mentioned before and Vaio's seem to be temperamental when creating disc's with the Vaio Recovery Utility..

Have you tried burning some other files onto a DVD using Roxio Easy Media Creator..?

dennisgoehmann
Visitor

No, haven't tried that, cause I haven't installed the program, yet. Slowly but surely I'm losing my patience. I'm now struggeling for nearly two month with computer issues. What is a brilliant display good for, when nothing else is working? I beg you pardon for my cynicism...

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I think Roxio Easy Media Creator is pre-installed on your FE41M.. :thinking:

What other issues do you have, can we maybe help you solve them..?

dennisgoehmann
Visitor

I found the Roxio Program and installed it. Haven't tried it though. I really hope that this is just a software failure. It would be a shame if I only could burn with cheap material. I hope I can solve this...

And yes, there are other problems that I have. But I think they are mostly due to the fact that vista is installed. For example WinDVD doesn't work as on my FS115M. The colours are way too distorted for my taste and playback is very jerky with most DVD's.
And why isn't it possible to playback dvds from a certain folder anymore?

Media player doesn'twork roerly either. At the end of music titles it stutters cause it's loading the next title. And when starting a new song manually it takes a very long time until playback starts. Sure this is a vista issue. But I'm using the notebook mainly for writing, listening to music and surfing the web. The most important part, multimedia, doesn't work correctly. And for a multimedia-notebook that's something I would call a shame.

All in all I'd like to have my old notebook back. But since Sony repaired it three times with few success and I didn't like to sent it in a fourth time, I was offered to get this new notebook. I should have been warned because Vista was preinstalled 😞

Anyway, thanks for your nice help , Thalamus! Maybe you still have some encouraging words for me 🙂

Anyway, thanks for your nice help , Thalamus! Maybe you still have some encouraging words for me 🙂

dennisgoehmann
Visitor

I tried Roxio Easy Medi Creator and it burns dvd's without any problem. I reinstalled the whole system. But even then the Recovery Utility doesN#t accept the Verbatim discs and destroys them...

dennisgoehmann
Visitor

What do you think should I bring my noetbook back to service. Or should I try some other DVD before that?

dennisgoehmann
Visitor

Ok, I solved the Recovery Tool issue I believe. I made the mistake that I put the DVD in the device before I was asked for it by the tool. Don't know why. But I think it has something to do with "autostart"...

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:cool: Glad your problems solved.. :slight_smile: