Join now - be part of our community!

Sony TX/TX2/TX3 microphone (internal?)

speculatrix
Visitor

Sony TX/TX2/TX3 microphone (internal?)

I was setting up my TX2 with internet phone software (Xten soft phone, excellent!) for sipgate VOIP service, and the other end of the phone call heard nothing.

then I tried the windows sound recorder, played with the audio control panel and volume controls, and still no sound.

plugged in a basic cheap microphone into the TX2 and everything worked.

am I mad, or does the TX2 not have a built-in microphone at all?

it's not something that'd make me sell it but it'd be quite useful, as then I could simply use a standard headphone to avoid echo and use built-in mic for speech, as it is I now have to carry a full headset. d'oh! :slight_frown:

Paul

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Paul,

The specifications on Vaio-Link for the TX series make no reference to a built in microphone :slight_frown:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
speculatrix
Visitor

Hi Paul,

The specifications on Vaio-Link for the TX series make no reference to a built in microphone :slight_frown:

Yeah, I noticed that.. but it's one of those things that you take so much for granted you kind of assume it's there... sort of like you expect to find a touch pad or mouse nipple. Must admit, I didn't realise there was no TV out either, nor a PS/2 port, the latter is easily sorted by a usb-ps/2 adaptor, lack of S-video is a minor nuisance.

overall I am still well pleased with the TX as un ultraportable, having helped colleagues in the past with sony laptops and seen all the dongles they have to carry, I think the TX is a marvell of integration!

speculatrix
Visitor

I used an external mic and got excellent results with VOIP (am big fan of sipgate, saves me a lot of money when I am abroad ringing back to the UK), and am wondering whether the mic socket is stereo - I will give it a go!

woohoo... I used a moderate quality stereo microphone that I bought for my Sony camcorder and it works very well... this is the mic:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?detail=full&ModuleNo=32517&doy=28m3