Join now - be part of our community!

sony vaio disassembly toshiba SD-R6012

grieskopp
Visitor

sony vaio disassembly toshiba SD-R6012

I have already posted in the solution forum, but I think its better to post here:

Hi there,
I have got the sony vaio PCG-FR215S with the toshiba SD-R6012 DVD burner. The burner was not working right (was not always able to burn DVDs), so I made the new firmware update from sony. But from now on nothing seems to work, I can`t write normal CDs anymore, always creating buffer underuns... How is it possible to disassembly the DVD drive? I have absolutly no clue...

Thanks,

greetings grieskopp

6 REPLIES 6
Woody27
Visitor

I'm not sure that taking it apart will help!

I feel that the firmware update probably failed, and as such has killed your optical drive (the drivers built into the firmware were probably corrupted during the update)!

You need to take care when performing firmware updates... ...which is why there are disclaimers to agree to before downloading! :cry:

NOTE: Many of the forum users will not respond to multiple posts, so I suggest in the future you make sure you post in the correct one for your query! :smileythinking:

CW

grieskopp
Visitor

Well, I´m sorry for posting twice...
I think the firmware update did not failed.
I know that I have to take care when performing firmware updates, but if its not working and sony suggests to make a firmware update, I will try this...
I have nothing to loose.
I will take it apart because I want to get a new one...
Does anyone know how to replace it?

Woody27
Visitor

Oh I see... ...you want to take the laptop apart, not the drive!

I will try to get back to you with instructions!

In the mean time try VAIO VILLAGE!

CW

grieskopp
Visitor

I want to replace the drive with a new drive. Or find out which was the old firmware of the drive (maybe written on the back) and replace the new firmware with the old one...
But I don`t know how to replace the drive. There are no instructions on the net...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The drive should just slide out of the bay

grieskopp
Visitor

unfortunately not.
I can abate the slit but its not possible to remove the drive. There are no screws or anything like this...