Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Quality ... a myth ???

phenice
Visitor

VAIO Quality ... a myth ???

Hi buddies,

I dont know if I am particularly unlucky, but as I bought my A217M a couple of weeks ago, I am already experiencing some bad results with it :

1) I tried to connect my Vaio to a TV, and I finally found a on forum the specifications of the link I needed to have this operation done. I cannot imagine reading a 200 pages documentation to find the reference of that link !!! furthermore, that link is not included in the cardboard !!! please Sony give me a very good reason for that but the cost !!! Hopefully (or by luck ???) It worked at the first try.

2) I tried to connect to a wifi spot in my favorite Pub close to my place, and spent half the day without any result : The VAIO didn t see the spot at any time (for the jokers, YES I did switch on the button)

3) Yesterday I was working with a CD-R and after few hours I had to switch to another CD-R which my VAIO considered unreadable. I tested that CD-R on my Station and it works perfectly. I tried to read different kind of CDs and DVD, and it seems finally that I can only read DVDs and DVD-R and no CD or CD-R any more ... what's going wrong with this 2.000 ¿ Device ???

Finally, I am really thinking of going back to the retailer, fortunately not a Sony retailer, and ask for a voucher or a credit note to finally buy a true Notebook ... I cannot imagine to work with a computer worth 2000¿ which fails every 5 days and which problems take me more time than I use the device itself !!!

PhEn @ Paris, France.

10 REPLIES 10
johnpgreenan
Visitor

What brand of CD-R, I had trouble with cheap brands

Was your network settings set to Infrastructure or Ad-hoc?.

phenice
Visitor

CD-R brand = Memorex and Verbatim (not cheap at all)

for remote network, well I followed exactly the instructions, and we even tried to change the configuration of the spot itself. It appears that the detection flashes a message saying that a network was detecting but the system is finally unable to identify any connection available. I dont understand what you say about infrastructure or ad-hoc for the network conf. I'd just say that it works perfectly with bluetooth.

I am very disappointed, because I like Sony stuffs and I have a PS2 and I just bought a Headset MDR-V700 (mixing purpose) which are good devices overall.

PhEn.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You need a Sony VMC20FR AV Cable

phenice
Visitor

Thx Kee-Lo, but regarding the link, I fixed this matter with a lot of searches which I shouldnt have had to do in fact.

By the way, is it possible to acquire analogic video sources (VCR for example) with that cable and through that plug ?

Anyway, my problem right now is that the DVD D56A doesnt read CD or CD-R RW any more. And the Wifi is still out of order. Even my very early Amstrad worked better !!!

PhEn.

kee-lo_

Yes it will capture analogue signals.

As for the CD, have you tried different software?

robpaxton
Explorer

Yes it will capture analogue signals.

But not with the A217M notebook.

kee-lo_

LOL see I'm so much inside the RA world.....

William
Visitor

Hi Phenice,

Although I am not always Sony's biggest fan from reading your post you do not have any physical problems with your Vaio.

I take the point that you felt the required cable (for your purposes) was not included but this is the norm whether you buy a Vaio or a DVD player.

Hopefully when you get everything set up and working with wireless it will become apparent that it was just a configuration issue.

I would expect that you would have the same or other similar issues with whichever manufacturer you purchased from.

William

nemo66
Visitor

1.Memorex (imho) are bad media (i got many nuts out of a 50 box)
2.DID U USE THE SWITCH? (for WiFi) :smileygrin:
3.Do u "parlez vous francaise?"
4.Well....reading some PC-Mags would help....complaining about nonexistent technical abilitys on your side would not help for sure.
5.U ask for help...give more information and u will get helped.
6.Don´t blame SONY, if it not works for u , give it back and buy a noname....cheap,ugly...but WORKING (even with Memorex):smileytongue:

7. Oh....there´s no 7....