Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO Duo 13 & Hyper-V

Sony VAIO Duo 13 & Hyper-V

I recently acquire my Vaio Duo 13 and generally I am very pleased.

Unfortunately as part of my work, I needed to copy a virtual machine from my old laptop Virtual PC 2005, to the Vaio.

I upgraded WIndows 8 to Pro, activated Virtualization in the BIOS

Enabled Hyper-V in Windows Features

All good.

Until I restarted - No Touchscreen or Touchpad.

Shutdown or restart, no joy.

In Devices, I2C HID devices not starting, so deleted and restarted.

At startup "System Firmware Invalid"

Powered off and on, restarted OK, Touchscreen OK, until Sleep or restart, then devices stop working.

This cycle can be repeated over and over.

I logged a call with Sony Support, but aparently my model is so new, they cannot register the serial number. I am still waiting to hear back, 3 days later 😞

However, I eventually found an article on a Japenese forum (thank God for Google Translate), and it seems I am not the only lunatic wanting Hyper-V on my Viao Duo.

It seems installing Hyper-V causes this issue. I un-checked Hyper-V in WIndows Features. All Good Now.

For now I am using VirtualBox and had to rebuild my virtual PC from scratch 😞

When Sony Support eventually get back, I will help them to recreate the symptoms so they can find a fix.

I hope my experience helps others 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
binbash

Wow that sounds really harsh, is this specific to Windows8?

I've never used hyper-v but always used virtualbox and vmware, hopefully virtualbox will help you get by for now. 

heuristik
New

I have the same symptoms, and have also enabled Hyper-V. 

This appears to be an issue related to hardware abstraction, hopefully it can be worked out with driver updates.

hippo987
New

So have I. Has anybody an suggestion how long it may take until Sony fixes the problem?

JayKannan

Sony seems to claim this is a microsoft issue, if so - does anyone know whom to contact about this. a twitter account will help.

JayKannan

IS THIS EVER GOING TO BE SOLVED????

PaulB255
Explorer

I worked around this issue by changing my power plan to Hibernate the machine when i press the power button both on battery and when plugged in. Not ideal as the machine takes a little longer to wake up, but I can live with it until the problem is resolved.