Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Laptop - repair or ditch ?

reggie
Visitor

Sony Vaio Laptop - repair or ditch ?

Folks

I've a Sony Vaio laptop (PCG Z600NE) that Sony have quoted a total of £575 to repair (of which I've already paid £150 for collection & diagnosis) as they have concluded it needs a new motherboard.

I'd welcome any advice as to whether it's worthwhile proceeding with the repair, or whether I should just ditch it and spend (not much more than the £575) buying a new - albeit non Sony - laptop.

Or perhaps take it to a non- Sony laptop reapir centre for a second opinion (in which case any recommendations in/around Leeds ??).

It cost about £2,500 when I bought it new, about 8 years ago (!!).

The problems it has are :

1. The laptop will not start. No lights. No activity. I have tried a new AC charger but problem continues. I have tried all suggestions made by Sony operators for discharging static etc. I have tried with the battery removed and just AC charger connected.

2. Occasionally (once a week ?) it may start, but when it does :

- the Battery Scope utility indicates that battery is 99% charged (but still charging) and that battery wear is 97% good. However, the battery charging light on the front of the laptop does not flash, and if the AC charger is disconnected rather than operating on battery power, the laptop just closes down

- neither the external CD card drive nor the external floppy USB drive (both as supplied with the laptop) are recognised by Windows (e.g. when access is attempted I get an error message along lines of "Access denied" Please connect drive")

Any thoughts would be very welcome !

many thanks

2 REPLIES 2
bertabruselas
Visitor

8 years old? ditch it! :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Have to agree, ditch it. You can get better laptops for around £699 by Sony now which have DVD recorders and better memory/CPU