Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Media TV Streaming

profile.country.GB.title
steve.baxter
Explorer

Sony Vaio Media TV Streaming

Can someone confirm whether the TV streaming option of the Media Server should work or not in the UK?

I bought an XL201 MCE machine with the idea of streaming live TV through to my VAIO VGN-A417S laptop, but cannot get it to work. Searching these forums and raising support calls does not seem to provide any reasonable explanations as t how or if you do this.

The media software on my laptop will connect to the media server machine (XL201) for music/video streaming but no server can be found for TV streaming. Some support says you need Gigapocket software, some says MCE should do it, others say option not available in all countries, etc. Where do we stand?

With all the advertising of having an MCE machine as central server/hub providing all the media requirements around the house, I cannot believe that this cannot be done.

Any advice gratefully received.

Steve Baxter

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Steve,

I don't know the definitive answer - you will have to get that from Sony - but I think it has always been impossible to stream live TV using Vaio Media Servers in Europe. Only content previously stored on the hard disc can be streamed. MPEG format is the only video format supported.

I suppose the pressure to do this has rather reduced with the arrival of small USB Tuners which are much more reliable and independent of a host computer.

The old Sony Network Media Receiver did have the facility to stream live TV but this could never be set up to work using the Sony media servers and PAL.

As I say though - the final answer can only come from Sony.

:thinking:

jamesv3s
Visitor

hiya.
i use vaio media, and i can stream live tv from my vaio v3s to my fs laptop aswell as music video etc.it alos work with ps3 bt nt tv.u shud be able to send live tv from ur xl i guess it is same type of pc as v3s really