Join now - be part of our community!

Sony vaio megga problems - vaio pcv-rs504

JohnGray
Visitor

Sony vaio megga problems - vaio pcv-rs504

Hello To everybody in vaio world.

Right now i'm sat behind my dream machine "vaio pcv-rs504"
The problem the whole machine !.This pc is not even 1 day old and allready i'm thinking about getting my P3 out of the bin that i built myself a few years ago.( and never had a days problem )!!!.

Problem No 1: Bt broadband would not install the installation disk tells me that my pc is as old as the arc and it does not meet min req.I get around this by exploring the disk and going straight into setup that bypasses the system check.Bt broadband installs and happy days,The dialling icon doesn't work but the shortcut created from network connection does so at least i can have an icon on my desk to connect.As i dont leave it on all the time.NEW problem i cant disconnect from the net .right click on the 2 little monitors click on disconnect .Like heck nothing....I can even pull the lead out of the wall and its still going in full swing showing up and down stream.

Problem No 2: This morning i thought i'd check my emails before going to work.connected to the net great.Couldn't disconnect no problem click start >turn off computer>turn off.
The machine eventually does after giving me the runaround that programs are busy do i want to end task etc.now computer desides to log off save settings etc and 7 hours latter still hasn't shut off.

Problem No 3 : Viruses...The pc came bundled with norton antivirus .Well according to the prog this machine has more viruses than a hospital.
So i guess no wounder the machine behaves oddly.

I could go on but thats the main ones

Well if anyone out there can offer any help i would be glad.

And remember this machine is brand new out of the box as of yesterday very late afternoon.( 24hrs old )
Thanks.

John

20 REPLIES 20
TygerTyger
Visitor

Okay. Well the problem isn't Sony, all of the above problems are related to SOFTWARE and not HARDWARE. In other words it's something to do with Windows or the programs you are running. If you don't use a firewall, which I have a sneaking suspicion you don't, then there could very well be viruses on your computer, it's more or less impossible for them to have been there when the computer arrived. What I would suggest since it's brand new is a full system restore. The instructions will be with your computer, or if you have a premade restore disk then just put it in the drive and select recovery.

reaper
Visitor

let's go through this again just to make sure im understanding properly

you bought a brand new vaio and your computer has came installed with viruse's or when you installed your modem ( new or old ) ?

have you got two modem's in your pc or two connection's active ? or two active line's say a pay as you go and a broadband ,

did you make sure you turnt off the alway's dail in the internet option's ?

sound's like you have a friend / foe with you lol i seem to be having strange thing's happen to me also

did your pc come installed with any upgrade's for windows ?

regards bppg

JohnGray
Visitor

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I have done the full recovery.The machine appears to be perfect it boots and closes down great.Just like how it was 24hrs ago.
Step 1
Right...here goes...I get on to bt broadband just to make sure that modem installation is perfect ( bypassing the pc self test to meet min requirements ) all's ok.They said common problem with the new bread of ht cpu's ( disk old tech - pc new tech )
Step 2
As the vaio came with norton i checked that out all's fine they recomend the use of the firewall in there package and to diable the firewall in the the windows network connections.As this causes conflicts.

Right... either way ...i'm getting spybot worms/trojans etc etc.

Verry strange.

I havent got to the stage of setting up printer, scanner ,ms office xp etc.

Epson printer wont install ms-dos issues ( this is xp compatable and less than 6 months old )

Hewlet packard Scanner well.. no chance

Support from either...what a chuckle patches hotfix downloads etc.

Windows updates ..done

sony europe/uk bla bla they cant even help me full stop they dont even reconise the make model serial code when you press the button for them to self test and in the manual options box they dont even have model listed.

This pc was bought from a sony retail out let and not del boy and rodney.

I'm quite dissapointed all in all, as it took me ages to save for it with a wife, 2 kids, a mortgage, and a gold fish.....lol

My old p3. 1 gig,80gb hdd,dvd bla bla will be taking pride of place on my desk again.. i hope the rubbish man hasn't collected the bins/waste yet...If i catch him in time maybe he'll do a deal on vaio in exchabge for my old one back.

( If you don't laugh you'll cry )

Well i'm not gonna say any more the machine hates me !!! lol

Thanks

John

JohnGray
Visitor

Thanks for your reply.

The pc does have 2 modems the one that it came with built in a 56 k v92 i think dial up jobby.But i just use the broadband one ( bt voyager 100 adsl )via usb connection.

The pc didn't come with any windows service packs.Just the normal recovery disks and stuff.
In the add/remove progs there was a number of updates they were preinstalled.

When i opened the box set it up etc the pc was perfect.
But after installing broadband and within 60 seconds of being online the norton anti virus program kicked in and said my machine has the pox.

I hadn't inserted any software f disks or cd roms apart from the broadband disk and i even virus scanned that.

The the machine is how sony give it to me + broadband connection thats it.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

When we got XP we had to update our Epson drivers from their website.

I suggest you download Spybot Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html) and Adaware (http://www.lavasoft.de)

Also get ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com and use that instead of Norton Firewall.

Give your syystem a virus scan, spybot scan and go to Windows Update and get all the updates there.

Now you should be safe.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Norton is notorious for false positives (ie reporting viruses that don't exist) so it's possible that's what's happening now. I would do as Kee-Lo suggested, even if your computer is stuffed with bad things, it should all be recoverable and once you follow his instructions and use the software it should all be put back to normal.

I do apologise for Sony not knowing your compute or anything about it, or apparantly not being too bothered about it either. I would recommend if you have the time you do something (not quite sure what) to make them acknowledge your computer now because if you ever need proper support in the future they could make life extremely difficult for you. If you register you computer then that should be good enough.

JohnGray
Visitor

Hello,

My beautifull vaio seems now to be in perfect working order.

I totally deleted all traces of norton and installed my usual brand of av software and all seams to be ok.

I hope that this doesn't void any warranty etc.

My printers etc now work.

I havent tried to disconnect from the net and shut the pc down.But i hope alls going to well.

I'm almost a totally happy vaio owner.

I just cant believe that i have had this chaos.

Thanks,

John

JohnGray
Visitor

Hello,

Thanks for the info etc. Great help !

So far alls well in my vaio world.

Thanks

John

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Superb!