Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO PCG-391M Upgrade

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jacobbakesbread
Explorer

Sony VAIO PCG-391M Upgrade

Hello

I have recently just got a sony vaio pcg-391m pc, and i was wondering, can i upgrade the pc cpu and ram, and what is the best i can get?

Many thanks

Jacob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks.

First, easy upgrade would be to increase to 4GB of RAM. Check what is already installed as it may have been done already. The FZ21M originally had 2GB of RAM.

Your ‘Merom’ T7250 processor should be upgradable to a ’Penryn’ as long as the FSB is the same 800. The T9300 is a possible choice and you should be able to buy one quite cheaply on eBay these days - originally it would have cost £200 but now £20 should do it! The T9300 uses the same 35 watts so overheating should be OK.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jacobbakesbread and welcome.

So we can find your Vaios specifications and capabilities we need the actual model name. It will be something like VGN-FZ21S or VGN-FZ21M or VGN-FZ21Z.Have a look at the bottom-right of the screen.

PCG-391M is the code for the chassis which is common to all VGN-FZ models.

Different models have different CPUs, HDDs and RAM.

profile.country.GB.title
jacobbakesbread
Explorer

Hiya

Thanks for the reply, the model name is VGN-FZ21M

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks.

First, easy upgrade would be to increase to 4GB of RAM. Check what is already installed as it may have been done already. The FZ21M originally had 2GB of RAM.

Your ‘Merom’ T7250 processor should be upgradable to a ’Penryn’ as long as the FSB is the same 800. The T9300 is a possible choice and you should be able to buy one quite cheaply on eBay these days - originally it would have cost £200 but now £20 should do it! The T9300 uses the same 35 watts so overheating should be OK.

Good Luck

profile.country.GB.title
jacobbakesbread
Explorer

Thank you so much :slight_smile: