Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Pro 13 - Digitally unsigned USB driver

Tapirus
New

Sony Vaio Pro 13 - Digitally unsigned USB driver

I have a problem with my Pro 13 laptop (SVP1321C5E, Windows 8.1), which is that one of its USB drivers appears digitally unsigned. (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\simdriver.sys). I've tried a system restore to roll back a week, which didn't help, and there wasn't a restore point further back. There are no downloadable USB drivers at Sony support for Windows 8 / 8.1 and Windows doesn't do anything with the unsigned driver if I uninstall the drivers via device manager and reboot my computer. If I delete simdriver.sys (or rename, actually) it complains about a missing driver but doesn't attempt to reinstall it. So Windows doesn't actually seem to have the driver, despite Intel saying that "Microsoft Windows 8* and Windows 8.1* have a native in-box USB 3.0 driver. Intel is not releasing a specific Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Windows 8 or 8.1.". 

I don't know if this occurred because one of my USB flash drives got corrupted while I was attempting to empty it to create a system recovery media (and I tried Transcend repair tools which required disabling driver signature enforcement). Whether it has something to do with it or not, as a result I don't have a recovery media nor downloadable drivers to actually fix this. The only redemption I can see right now is either purchasing a recovery media and going way back to Windows 8.0, OR receiving a working simdriver.sys from someone with a Sony Vaio Pro 13. (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\simdriver.sys) Can someone help me with that?

Oh and I forgot to mention that the immediate symptom is that my neither my USB ports nor bluetooth work unless I disable driver signature enforcement after every restart (which means restarting my computer multiple times in a row). So currently I don't allow my laptop to shut down or hibernate. 

0 REPLIES 0