Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO VGN-AR21S drive problems

Vandors
Visitor

Sony VAIO VGN-AR21S drive problems

I have got Sony VAIO VGN-AR21S laptop. The Blu-ray drive doesn't work properly. There are 2 problems with it.
1. It doesn't read DVD-ROM disk. Doesn't see it, however disk is readable, was perfectly read at my desktop computer and DVD recorder. The laptop and disk are brand new. Bought 2 weeks ago.
2. Every software that reguires more than 1 CD to be installed just one after another can't be installed on the laptop.
System stops responding after second CD was inserted. However seperetly all they were read perfectly. Problem happens every time. Tried restarts, full system recovery and so on. Disks all new and readable on desktop computer. Tried 3 different software with the same result.

Can you comment all this and verify if it is a laptop problem.

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Vandors

Welcome to Club Vaio, :slight_smile:

I would take your AR21 back to the retailer and ask for a replacement as you have only had your Vaio for 2 weeks and a system recovery has not solved the problem..:smileysad:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I agree with Thalamus, but I'm not really suprised as they seem to have had a lot of bad bluray drives lately.

Vandors
Visitor

The problem actually is that retailer refused return, untill Sony confirms it is a laptop problem..
They have log of this call and it could be confirmed..

BartK
Visitor

Maybe check there download section.
It seems that there are new firmware available for this drive.
That might just solve the issue...:smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Vandors

You may find HITS-UK's post in this thread of use..

apierc1
Visitor

To my knowledge Blue Ray drives aren't able to play standard DVDs?? Standard DVDs and CD Roms are read by a red laser, and Blue Ray as sufggested by the name uses a Blue laser which allows more of the disk to be read or something, are they actually compatible? nothing I have read or heard has suggested they are.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

According to the Specs the AR21 optical drive supports the following:

CD-ROM : 24 x Speed
CD-R : 24 x Speed
CD-RW : 24 x Speed
DVD-ROM : 8 x Speed
DVD +R : 8 x Speed
DVD +RW 8 x Speed
DVD -R : 8 x Speed
DVD -RW : 6 x Speed
DVD Dual Layer : 4 x Speed
BD : 1.6 x Speed
BD-R : 1 x Speed
BD-RE : 1 x Speed

apierc1
Visitor

Hmm I wonder if it's a dual laser drive? :thinking: Or maybe blue ray can just play standars discs? Interesting

Mingah
Visitor

Hmm I wonder if it's a dual laser drive? :thinking: Or maybe blue ray can just play standars discs? Interesting

You can see two lenses when you open the drive, so it's most likely a dual drive