Join now - be part of our community!

sony vaio vgn tt1 problems with mobile broadband.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jardine6141
Visitor

sony vaio vgn tt1 problems with mobile broadband.

Hi, i have noticed recently when using the mobile broadband  tmobile service ( via embedded sim card and options/globetrotter module) the cpu usage is very high and the machine gets quite hot  (fan speeding up) im sure this did not always happen, however i have been using it quite a lot recently and wonder if all is ok? can anyone help? rgds carl.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jardine6141
Visitor

Hi, if you are still following this thread , on reaching home all ok wireless and cabled, so its a globetrotter issue, i will have to live with it! many thanks for your interest, rgds carl.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Carl,

Difficult to diagnose I'm aftraid.

Can you see which processes are using a lot of the CPU in Task Manager?

Does this happen with a normal WLAN connection also?

To set your mind at rest you can download some thing like 'PC Wizard' which will show your CPU temperatures and you can actually see if these are too high.

http://download.cnet.com/PC-Wizard-2010/3000-2094_4-10793737.html

Are there any updates to Vaio Smart Network on the download website?

:thinking:

jardine6141
Visitor

Hi and thanks for reply, i tried p.c. wizard as suggested and it reported  the following, hardware thermal zone 74c, processor core 1 65c, core 2 64c, i think those are within limits?  i would add that readings taken  when computer at idle. On looking in task manager again at idle, all that is using the cpu significantly is the globetrotter  device 13-20!! i always knew it was heavy on the battery so it may be i just did not take too much notice before having only used globetrotter fairly infrequently and usually plugged in, however ive been using it a lot on battery for a week at present.It seems to run hotter when im actually doing something on it and the fan blows out quite a bit of warm air and battery usage high, once in idle it drops back to what i call normal fan noise and heat, i seem to remember reading somewhere quite recently that the globetrotter/option device was known for high cpu  usage and there was a work around but of course i cant remember where i saw it! Anyway i will try it when i return home tomorrow, plugged in and on battery and on wireless and cabled connection and will let you know, there were no updates available as i could see. I suppose its in no danger as it has never overheated to the extent where it shuts itself down!! thanks for interest, rgds carl.

jardine6141
Visitor

Hi, if you are still following this thread , on reaching home all ok wireless and cabled, so its a globetrotter issue, i will have to live with it! many thanks for your interest, rgds carl.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks for the update Carl.

:slight_smile:

jardine6141
Visitor

Hi, to add insult to injury, tmobile inform me ive exceeded my download quota for the month !!!!  you have to laugh ! thanks again for interest, nice to know some good souls out there. rgds carl.