Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VPCF12Z1E problems

profile.country.en_GB.title
angel-x
Visitor

Sony Vaio VPCF12Z1E problems

I brought my Sony Vaio VPCF12Z1E in August 2010 (when this model was first released) and at first I had no problems with it, apart from the palm rest becoming unstuck and lifting about 8 months after purchase. However about 14 months it just went down hill. It gets incredibly hot really quickly, to the point where the vent cannot be touched. The keyboard also becomes uncomfortably warm and the noise of the fan is very loud, to the point where there is no point in having the TV on as I cannot hear anything above the fan noise.

The primary reason I choose this laptop was because I wanted a fast machine to run the Adobe software simultaneously, and the shop assistant recommended this laptop, but not only can I not run any Adobe software, my laptop overheats and turns itself off just from attempting to download the software. (Luckily I was attempting to download the trial, as buying it would have been a waste as I cannot run it). I can also not play The Sims anymore, as my laptop again overheats and turns itself off just from loading it, and a few minutes of iTunes and it's off again. I can also be just online and not doing anything which uses a lot of ram and it will still turn itself off.

I am at my wits end and have no idea what to do about this anymore, I was able to take the bad, but it is just getting worse. I paid just over £1500 for this laptop for it to last just over 18 months. the shop assistant advised this was the best laptop they had, obviously this is not! Sony used to be my primary brand, but after the disappointment of this laptop, I will no longer be purchasing anything from them.

Did anyone else have this problem, what did you do to solve it? As my laptop is out of warranty is there anything I can do without sending it to Sony, or if anyone did, would you be able to give me an estimate on how much a repair would be. I'm guessing on a fan replacement.

Also I can no longer back up my laptop as my laptop turns itself off mid backup, does anyone know any way around this?

I would be grateful for any advise.

Thanks so much

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi angel-x,

This may possibly be a fan problem but as you can hear the fan working overtime it is more likely to be either blocked cooling vents or drying thermal paste between the processor and the heat sink or a combination of the two.

If this is the case then a local repairer should be able to undertake the work for you at a cost of approx. £70/80 – Sony will charge far more.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
angel-x
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thank you so much for your help. I also forgot to mention that even though the side vent is very hot and blowing out minimal hot air, the vent at the bottom of my laptop is blowing out cool air. Could this mean that the side vent is just blocked? I don't really have experience with laptops, but would it be possible for me to clean the vent/fan myself to see if this resolved the problem? If so would you have any tips on how to do this without destroying it in the process.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi angel-x,

You can try cleaning the vents with a can of compressed air - often sold comercially as 'Air Duster'. Try your local computer shop or even a large Supermarket - down the isle with TV's, CD's computer cables etc.

Hold the can upright and direct the jet of air at the vents from a distance of approx. 100mm.

Unfortunately if the vents are very clogged with dust and fibre then disassemby is required for a thorough clean.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

I have the same machine and experienced the same problem.  After much messing around and some research I eventually plucked up the courage to take the lap top apart.  Once apart the CPU is obvious and has some copper (heat sink) piping leading to a fan unit.  I blew this out using an air compressor and felt somewhat ashamed of the clouds of dust which then settled over the entire kitchen - if you can I recommend doing this outside.

After putting the laptop back together it ran much cooler; sure the air coming out of the vents was warm but nothing like as hot as before.  Although warm I did not get any more random auto shut downs.  However, the fan was a little noisy but not screaming like before but nor was it silent like it was when new.

I decided to replace the HDD as the original disk was pretty full and loaded Win 7 Pro rather than Win 7 Home Pre (as I wanted to do network back-ups). In doing this I lost the Sony software that came pre-installed.  Some of it has been recovered through the Sony web site but not all as I became frustrated and then totally bored trying to figure Sony’s various downloads on their web site.  However, after installing the new HDD and Win 7 Pro I had a very cool running, silent and quick laptop – just like new.  Brilliant!  This all happened Aug 2014.

It’s now June 2015, the new HDD is filling up and the lap top is becoming more vocal and running a little warmer.  On the Sony VPCF12Z1E with just Outlook and IE open and malware and anti-virus running in background I am using 3.5GB of memory.  My desk top PC with the same anti-virus and malware applications ticking over in back ground, Outlook and EI open on the same pages, it is using only 1.28GB. Why the huge difference?  If I look into the Windows Task Manager under processes there is a big difference in the memory consumption for Outlook and IE – all the other processes are using near similar amounts of memory (but the anti-malware numbers are higher on the lap top).

Laptop              Outlook            121,000kb         EI (x4)   660,000kb

PC                    Outlook              43,000kb         EI (x2)     65,000kb

If I use IE intensively – say 8 pages open simultaneously then the memory number rise as you would expect, but the laptop goes up to 1,455,000kb and the PC with the same pages open only goes to 160,000kb.  If I use chrome rather than IE the difference in memory usage is similar but overall chrome uses a bit less memory.  As memory usage increases so does the heat produced by the laptop.  Surprisingly, CPU usage only has a limited effect on heat.  I have a large excel spreadsheet with macros that runs on a live data feed and this can run all day with only a marginal effect on heat even though the CPU is constantly running between 20% - 70% of capacity.

So from the above I deduce that memory intensive application make the CPU fan work harder, but CPU intensive application do not?!.

In this house I have 4 laptops and 3 desk top PC.  Of the 4 laptops one is a Dell and the others are older Sony’s.  Only the VPCF12Z1E seems to suffer high memory usage on Outlook and IE/Chrome, why is that and can anything be done?

PS Settings on all computers for add-ons are the same.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Just out of interest what is the usage if you try Firefox?

Jumpsuit, thank you for your quick response. I have not used Firefox for years so downloaded it.
Below are the Windows Task Manager results for IE, Chrome and Firefox.
I re-started windows and then opened 2 tabs in each browser - www.google.co.uk and www.bbc.co.uk/news , no other tabs were opened and no scrolling through the web pages.

1. Browser     Files     Memory
    Chrome        6        209,700
     IE               2        118,100
     Firefox         1        208,000

Below are the results when a 3rd tab is opened to www.youtube.com. In the 3rd tab I played a video for 20 seconds and then another video, again for 20 seconds and then paused. Same videos on all 3 browsers.

2. Browser      Files      Memory
      Chrome       6         309,300
      IE                2         225,000
      Firefox         1         313,500

Here a 4th tab is opened. A web page is opened to the home page and then, on the same tab another web page is opened to the home page - no scrolling or any other action. The other 3 tabs are still open to the sites mentioned above

3. Browser      Files      Memory
     Chrome        8        546,300
      IE               4        507,000
      Firefox         1        421,400

I then closed 3 of the tabs to leave the www.google.co.uk the only page open. Memory numbers reduced on all 3 browsers but not back to the original number (where 2 sites were open ie 1. above). In Firefox with Google & BBC open at the start, Memory was 207,984kb after closing the 3 tabs to leave just Google the Memory number reduced from 421,400 to 255,760 which is above the ‘start’ number. So it appears to me that my heat problem stems from having browsers open all day and as I surf from page to page memory numbers keep cranking up.
I’ve noticed something similar in Outlook. It’s been open all day on my laptop, memory was running above 600,000. I closed it down and then opened it again. At start Memory was a modest 70,500kb. I then went and re-opened and then closed all 31 emails I received today. Having opened and then closed all these emails memory was then running at 350,000 even though no emails were open.

This would seem to lend weight to why I always had problems with overheating towards the end of the day and no problems in the morning. Any comments or suggestions? Do I have some setting on my lap top which can be tweaked to help with this incremental memory build up?