Join now - be part of our community!

Sony vaio wireless help

fo0xcr4f7
Visitor

Sony vaio wireless help

Hello, I have recently been given a laptop and it didn't come with the original sony vaio install CD.

After a brief stint with running Ubuntu on my laptop, I decided to return back to windows and keep my desktop on Ubuntu.

Anyway..

I have installed most drivers from the preinstalled drivers pack, found in my laptop's download section, but I cannot get my wireless lan to work, and device manager lists a network controller with no driver (it has a yellow question mark with a little exclamation mark next to it and it's in other devices). After attempting to install the WirelessLAN program in the drivers pack I still couldn't access the internet, and the program called "AMBIT Wireless LAN Configuration Utility" doesn't run at all.

I was wondering if there's anywhere I can download this driver from, and why that program isn't running, and how I can get it to run. After consulting several of my friends, and they couldn't do it either I decided to post here. I hope you can help.

My laptop: Sony Vaio PCG-R600HMPD
I have Windows XP 5.01.2600Service Pack 2

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Jack

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jack and welcome to Club Vaio.

Can you access the Internet with the Vaio wired to the Router? If not, have you installed the Network Adapter?

I presume you have downloaded the Original Drivers Package from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=PCG-R600&m=80...

Right-click on the downloaded .zip and choose "Extract All" to C:\. This will generate a new folder C:\Drivers. Some of these drivers have a Setup.EXE to install them. The wireless LAN driver is one of them, so to install the AMBIT Wireless LAN, just run C:\Drivers\WirelessLAN\Setup.EXE.

Some do not have .EXE installers like your Intel PRO/1000 Network Adapter. To install these go to Device Manager and find the devices with the yellow !. Right-click on each of these and choose "Update Driver" -> "No, not this time" -> "Install from a specific location (Advanced)" -> "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install" -> Have Disc -> Browse to C:\Drivers\

:slight_frown:

fo0xcr4f7
Visitor

Haha, I can connect through a wired connection to the router, that works fine.

All the other drivers work fine and that executable is the one that doesn't seem to be working. It installs but, presuming it is the network controller driver, doesn't seem to do anything. There is still a yellow question mark next to the driver and as I said the program it installs doesn't run.

Haha thanks anyway, if you have any other ideas they would be much appreciated.

:slight_smile: