Join now - be part of our community!

VGN AR31 - part number

tszpinda
Visitor

VGN AR31 - part number

Hi,

I'm looking for a hard drive bracket/caddy for my sony laptop.

As I bought laptop without the part, but to buy it need a part number. It would be great if anyone could help me with finding one.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Tom,

See whether you can identify it from here .
It is possibly the "bracket" listed under HDD :thinking:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tszpinda
Visitor

Great - thanks Rich,

Any idea if I can stick any 2.5inch SATA drive in this laptop or it has to be some kind of
"special" drive?

Cheers!

Tom

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Tom,

Yes in theory any 2.5 SATA drive will fit as long as they have the correct connectors – but I seem to remember that this only applies to 3.5 drives.

I have just opened the HD bay of my AR31S. It contains 2 X 120Gb Toshiba drives – ref: MK 1234 GSX, HDD 2031 S ZK01S. I assume that your model also accepts two drives configured in Raid 0.

If you can provide a photo of the open drive bay we should be able to confirm this.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tszpinda
Visitor

I'm abroad for awhile , so I can't take a picture at the mo. But for sure it's the same model. Just concerned, as prices on the web site you gave me before are a bit terrifying.

For example: A1252264AMS22 TOSHIBA HDD 120GB(H) $2231.02$1216.02.

I know that I must buy a hard drive bracket with 8 screws, but can't believe how much hard drives does cost.
Edited: I found on ebay same as your I expect for 59GBP.

Anyway, in the place where hard drives should be I have "black hole" 😉 and short cable with adapter on the end, nothing else. I bought it like that so I'm not sure what else(if anything) I need to buy. If you can tell me what you seen there I would be really greatful.

Thanks again,

Btw sorry for my poor English.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Tom,

Yes Nexttronics are very expensive for hard drives and memory – source these from a UK supplier. Not sure about eBay (I am not a fan really). Try Ebuyer – this one for example.

Anyway, in the place where hard drives should be I have "black hole" 😉 and short cable with adapter on the end,

You may also need a couple of connectors for the pair of hard drives. Have a look at the photos below...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Visitor

Lol look at the sticker on the last photo.

" rattle noise is normal"

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Lol look at the sticker on the last photo.

" rattle noise is normal"

ROFL luckily I don’t have any rattle noise – just "shake and roll"… :wink:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tszpinda
Visitor

Rich912 thanks for your replay.
Finally I recovered myself after the new year party and now trying to make my laptop running.

You mentioned a couple of connectors for the pair of hard drives, have you got any idea which one from Nexttronics(or any other shop) should I buy to fit in my laptop?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Tom,

You mentioned a couple of connectors for the pair of hard drives, have you got any idea which one from Nexttronics(or any other shop) should I buy to fit in my laptop?

Unfortunately not and that is partly why I suggested that an email or phone call to Nexttronics would be a good idea.

The two HDD connector cables may very well come with the caddy/bracket but if not they (Nexttronics) should be able to advise on the necessary additional parts that you require.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat