Join now - be part of our community!

Sound stops working all of a sudden aftera random period of time

azam
Visitor

Sound stops working all of a sudden aftera random period of time

I am running Windows XP on a Sony Viao PC. Using the speakers that came with PC.

The sound works fine, but then after a random period of time - whether it is a few minutes or a few hours - the sound stops working. I have tried absolutely everything, checking to see if mute is not on, trying different media players etc. etc.

It has been like this for over a year is frustrating. I have to restart the computer to make the sound work again.

Any idea what I could do to try to resolve this issue please?

Many thanks and Happy New Year to all :thumbsup:

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi azam,

First of all let me say that I haven't a clue but personally, I would start by trying the following: -

1. Check that your Windows Audio Service is set to Automatic.

Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services.
Scroll down the list of Services and have a look at 'Windows Audio'. Check that the Service is set to Automatic and is Started. If not, double click on it and choose Automatic from the drop-down box.

2. Try to install KB835221 instead of KB888111 or vice-versa.

The Microsoft UAA High Definition Audio Package has two versions. Check which one you have installed. Look in C:\Drivers\Hotfix and see if you have kb835221.exe or kb888111.exe. If your Vaio is a year old, you probably have the first one. Try updating to the second one (or the other way round).

As I said I don't know the answer but these are worth a try.

:thinking:

azam
Visitor

Thank you very much for your advice.

I tried 1, but it was already set to automatic.

I couldn't find either of the files in 2. I look absolutely everywhere and did a search in every hard drive.

Any other idea what may be wrong? It's so frustrating to have a computer without sound 😞

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi azam,

Re 2: Have a look in Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Make sure that you check the 'Show Updates' box at the top of the window.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Azam,

Just noticed the date you joined!! What model Vaio do you have?

I could have sent you on a wild goose chase if your model does not have Hi-Def Audio !!!!

:thinking:

azam
Visitor

Thanks for the responses - really appreciate it.

I have clicked the 'show updated' box.

I have a Sony Vaio Pentium 4, 2.99 GHz. It is a Desktop and is two and a half years old. I bought it here in the UK.

Thank you once again.