Join now - be part of our community!

Start up times

GadgetMan
Visitor

Start up times

I have just bought a VGN-A217M and I am very please with it but I have a few questions that I hope you can answer....

1. It takes a long time to load up, also the icon graphics load one by one !! ( I have only got about Ten shown on the desk top)
Is this normal? or is it caused by Norton internet Security?

2. The DVD drive has got one button on the side of the vaio (software driven) and also a small button on the front of the DVD drive what is this for? as it has also got a small hole that I gather is use in emergency's ie if the DVD will not eject...

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Hi Gadget Man

Have a look in Run>msconfig and see what programns are launching on start up. There may be other programs firing up to run in the background that may not be needed

Also run a check with Spybot and Ad-Aware in case there are any spyware progrmans slowing things up.

There have been some SP2 issues so make sure you have the latest upgrades for your PC. You can check them out on Vaio-Link

I think the small hole you refer to is for resetting the PC so be careful about sticking anything in there.

cannavar
Visitor

Gadget,

Thanks for that mate. Just noticed the little button. How handy is that. Its an external version of the emergency hole. I can now open my dvd with ease without causing work I'm doing to be affected by the software eject.

I like that button :smileygrin:

It can take a while to load. I'm just browsing trying to find out how to switch off the rather annoying and loud VAIO startup music.

GadgetMan
Visitor

I know it's a great little button and I only found it by mistake!

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

It can take a while to load. I'm just browsing trying to find out how to switch off the rather annoying and loud VAIO startup music.

Have a look under START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL>SOUNDS,SPEECH AND AUDIO DEVICES> CHANGE THE SOUND SCHEME. :smileygrin: