Join now - be part of our community!

still no sound after downloading hdmi software update

theblondeone
Visitor

still no sound after downloading hdmi software update

i've got a VGN-AR31S notebook and i want to be able to watch a film played on it through a sony bravia kdl40w3000 television. i've downloaded and installed the "update HDMI Software Update Version 071025a" according to the instructions and yet i still have no sound on my tv when i try and play a film through the notebook. has anyone else had the same problem?

i've rebooted my pc since installation, and have also rebooted it whilst the hdmi cable is connecting the two but it doesn't seem to work.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.pt_PT.title
V57...
Contributor

Hi theblondeone,

Have you switched the output to digital?

Control Panel -> Audio

and set the default to SPDIF/HDMI

theblondeone
Visitor

hi

yes its switched to digital and the default is spdif/hdmi but still no luck. the little volume bar to the right of this is flickering up and down as if to say there is sound but there's nothing coming through the speakers.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Do a system restore to a time before you installed the update

theblondeone
Visitor

i've now restored my system to a time before i installed this update and tried the sound but no luck so re-installed the update and the sound still isn't there. not entirely sure what else to try...

theblondeone
Visitor

does anyone have any further ideas on how i can solve this problem?!?

Kevlegs
Visitor

I was having this problem of picture but no sound until this morning. This is how I resolved it.
Bear in mind that I am using an AR41m.

Goto Control panel, Hardware & Sound, set "Digital Output Device HDMI" as default, double click on " Speakers and Headphones", goto Advanced tab, make sure that the " Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" is ticked and "Give exclusive mode applications priority" is unckecked.
Apply and that should then work.

When you plug in the hdmi cable, the sound should come out the Tv.
When you unplug the cable, the audio should revert to the laptop speakers.

Hope this helps 'cos thats all I did. :wink: