Join now - be part of our community!

Stolen Laptop, but no serial number

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
nonimuss
Visitor

Stolen Laptop, but no serial number

Hi all,

I really, really desperately need help as my Sony Vaio SR19VN was stolen a few days ago.  I still have the original purchase invoices, the box, and all of the manuals; the only thing I'm missing is the right serial number.  There was a serial no. supplied on the invoice, but that appears to only be in relation to the retailer's own internal logging system, not Sony's. 
To give you a catalogue of frustration, I've never registered it with Sony, didn't get any insurance and I'm still going to be paying this off for the next 3 years on the payment plan.  I think I only once used the online support with my serial number some time last year to find out more info about the windows 7 "record what you hear" sound issue; I received a reply, but I deleted that email long ago, so it feels like I have nothing else to go on but the packaging.
Is there anything else I can do to track down my serial number?  I have informed the police of the theft, but without the serial number it appears impossible to get any online support from Sony; I've been going round and round in circles on their site and it's driving me crazy.  I'd happily pass all the police contact details on to Sony so they can verify the authenticity of my claim if it means *something* can be done.  I realise I'll probably never get my laptop back, and it wasn't booting properly anyway at the time of theft, but I don't want to just let whoever nicked it to get away that easily.
Thanks in advance.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi nonimuss,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

I'm sorry to read that your Vaio has been stolen..

Is the serial number not on the original box somewhere.?

If not and you happy to please send your name, contact number &/or email address via Private Message to either Blencogo or me and we'll forward them onto someone from Vaio support who will hopefully contact you..

Once you have your vaio's serial number I believe if you provide the following information to Vaio support..

- the serial number of your stolen vaio..
- a copy of the police report..
- contact details of the police department handling the theft..

They will place your vaio onto their stolen database..

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Miss-m-UK,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

Sorry to read that your Vaio has been stolen, did you register your Vaio with Sony.?

You mention you have a box is that the original one that your Vaio came in.? If so the serial number should be printed on a label.. The serial number is usually consists a two sets of numbers first part is eight long & the second seven numbers long ie:- 54******-60*****, 28******-50****, 27******-51*****, 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi nonimuss,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

I'm sorry to read that your Vaio has been stolen..

Is the serial number not on the original box somewhere.?

If not and you happy to please send your name, contact number &/or email address via Private Message to either Blencogo or me and we'll forward them onto someone from Vaio support who will hopefully contact you..

Once you have your vaio's serial number I believe if you provide the following information to Vaio support..

- the serial number of your stolen vaio..
- a copy of the police report..
- contact details of the police department handling the theft..

They will place your vaio onto their stolen database..

Miss-m-UK
New

Hi, my laptop was also stolen yesterday. The thief's broke in a took my laptop as well as the receipt with all the repair cover information. Unfortunately I hadn't written the SN anywhere but I've got the packaging with me. I've called the place I purchased the laptop from and they said all they can do is give me a receipt since they do not hold the details of the laptop on their system unless it has been taking in for repair. So all I have to go off on is the packaging and the hand booklets u got with it. The police are investigating the matter but I've been unable to provide them with anything except the description of the laptop. Is there anyway the sony team can help me?

Regards,
Miss m
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Miss-m-UK,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

Sorry to read that your Vaio has been stolen, did you register your Vaio with Sony.?

You mention you have a box is that the original one that your Vaio came in.? If so the serial number should be printed on a label.. The serial number is usually consists a two sets of numbers first part is eight long & the second seven numbers long ie:- 54******-60*****, 28******-50****, 27******-51*****, 

leferdi24
Explorer

The moral of the story is always register your device the day you get it.  with no serial# there isnt nothing sony can do and to be honest even if you did have the serial# sonys options are still limited (even if placed on there stolen database) as all someone who has your laptop would have to do is install a retail version of windows and not install any of the sony vaio software (Vaio update etc......) and the laptop would be untrackable.  sorry to hear about your loss still.