Join now - be part of our community!

Stops at agp440

Nic.braitwaite
Visitor

Stops at agp440

laptop Vaio 117 fails to boot up, ? a video music cd was played, had problem shutting down, now will not boot, stops at agp440 it recycles and starts again?

4 REPLIES 4
TygerTyger
Visitor

Is there no error message? Can you boot into safe mode?

Nic.braitwaite
Visitor

Thanks for responding.

No I tried all the options, safe mode and the others give the same result, it stops at apg440.sys. A search of net suggests that it might be some problem with a video driver, I found instructions to alter situation but I am unable to disable apg440.sys The system Restore disc gives no help, F12 function on start up with restore disc in has no effect. So cannot be selective. I am very Reluctant to run C drive restore and loose my fax, email and personal docs. Is there a way to make a selective restore disc using my other Vaio 117 just to selectivley disable boot ?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You need to pop off to http://www.bootdisk.com/ and get a bootable CD for Windows XP, which will allow you to get into the recovery console.

Nic.braitwaite
Visitor

:pray:

Thanks, I like this idea, a bootable disc looks promising.

I have also put the problem to Sony support ? not much from that quater yet. I note it is a problem that has been arround for a while, and has hit a vaio laptop a few times... so they should have the answer...

I found a web references all over, in one they used a network link to effect repairs to knock out the agp440.sys, no details. Seems that sp2 has had the same effect. Like me the system can work, then just fails without warning... interesting ~ Nic