Join now - be part of our community!

Supplied memory (K315M)

richardmcleod
Visitor

Supplied memory (K315M)

Just had a look inside to check the RAM setup before purchasing a 512MB module. However, inside there are 2 256MB PC2700 modules instead of the one 512MB PC2100 as stated on the product specification, box etc.

Is this normal? It's now going to cost me a lot more to upgrade to 1GB as I need two 512MB modules and will have to try and sell the 256MB ones. Will Sony replace them for the correct one?

Also why does it have PC2700 when it states it only supports PC2100?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
feederfan
Visitor

It has 2 256MB modules because they are cheaper than one 512MB module.
And no, sony wont replace it, because it does not say in the specification how the RAM is arranged, it just says 512MB of RAM
And finally, PC2700 DDR will run at PC2100 clock speed, and because it is designed for a higher clock speed, it is more reliable when running slower, Sony put this in because there is no price difference between PC2700 and PC2100.

TygerTyger
Visitor

It's a bummer, it's why I haven't done the same but if you can manage to shift both your 256's on eBay you should get around £15-£20 each for them. Be sure to put them in the anti-static packaging that the new modules come in.

Since it doesn't support anymore than 1Gb of RAM, be comforted that it's the first and last time you will be upgrading.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

1GB is enough anyway