Join now - be part of our community!

SVE1512W1ESI Windows 8 Freezing after update.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
bezzah
Visitor

SVE1512W1ESI Windows 8 Freezing after update.

So I got my laptop last Tuesday and the issue first happened last Thursday. After installing Microsoft Office 2010 (using CD) I restarted my laptop when it proceeded to install some automatic updates. Upon restarting my Start screen would freeze after a couple of seconds, I would move my cursor which would jump but could not open any tabs or applications. I carried out a System Restore to before I installed office but the problem persisted, I logged into another user account and there was no issue. Until the automatic updates installed again, same issue.

I was unable to complete the Automatic Repair function or use System Refresh. So I then tried a System Reset, choosing the faster option of simply deleting my files, after setting up windows I installed the driver updates from the Sony support site (VAIO update would not recognise my system). I selected to install Windows Updates, which failed to install correctly. Turning my laptop on this morning the problem returned.

I have now carried out a complete System Reset. I have yet to restart the laptop, before I try anything I want to post here and find out if it can be resolved. I spend a fair bit of money on the laptop and I've barely been able to use it.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi bezzah and welcome.

There seems to be a problem with McAfee on Windows 8 where the Child Protection module is causing the Vaio to run out of memory shortly after a reboot.  HDD light stays on but the Vaio freezes.

I understand McAfee are aware of the problem and are releasing an automatic update to fix the problem.

If your Vaio freezes before it can update, you could try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del immediately Windows loads.  Choose Task Manager and find the McAfee process called Child Protection - (it will be identifiable as it will be consuming tons of memory and processor).  Highlight it and click on 'End Task'.

You can then use the Vaio and make sure McAfee is updated (or Child Protection uninstalled).

Thanks to dguyomar for first identifying this problem here: -

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/825764#825764

:thinking:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi bezzah and welcome.

There seems to be a problem with McAfee on Windows 8 where the Child Protection module is causing the Vaio to run out of memory shortly after a reboot.  HDD light stays on but the Vaio freezes.

I understand McAfee are aware of the problem and are releasing an automatic update to fix the problem.

If your Vaio freezes before it can update, you could try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del immediately Windows loads.  Choose Task Manager and find the McAfee process called Child Protection - (it will be identifiable as it will be consuming tons of memory and processor).  Highlight it and click on 'End Task'.

You can then use the Vaio and make sure McAfee is updated (or Child Protection uninstalled).

Thanks to dguyomar for first identifying this problem here: -

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/825764#825764

bezzah
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

I have uninstalled MacAfee Family Protection, will try restarting now. Fingers crossed.

UPDATE

Restarted and all was well. I'm still getting "Failure to configure windows updates" though.

Message was edited by: bezzah

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi bezzah.

Thats good news at least.

Thanks for keeping us up to date - you are one of the guinea-pigs for Windows 8 and others here will be eager to hear your experiences.

bezzah
Visitor

Yeah, I'm being tentatively optimistic. I'm a reluctant guinea pig, that's for sure. 

Hi there

I have similar problem as have a new sony vaio laptop which is only 3 months old and came with windows 8. It is barely unuseable right from the outset as often just restarts itself mid way through using powerpoint for a presentation. Also often crashes after any new windows 8 update and then have to wipe my laptop and start again. What can I do? Is it best to downgrade to windows 7 and how do I do this? Please urgently help as have had to revert back to using very old laptop as this is so unreliable.

mlashger
New

many thanks about may account.