Join now - be part of our community!

Synaptics driver and frequent registry access

profile.country.GB.title
nsprljan
Visitor

Synaptics driver and frequent registry access

It seems that the Synaptics touchpad driver (SynTpEnh) on my VAIO SV-T1511C is misbehaving - it is trying to access a non-existing registry key (HKCU\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\UltraNavPS2) at a high frequency, around once per milisecond. I have tried installing the latest vereesion, but still the same. Anyone having the same? Or any ideas how to get in touch with technical support or developers of the driver?

Thanks, Nikola

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Nikola,

I'm not sure whether this will be of any help to you but can confirm that on one of my Vaios with a Synaptics touchpad (running Vista) that this registry key is present - can let you have values if you think it would help.

Have you tried completely removing the Synaptics driver before installing the original driver?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
nsprljan
Visitor

Hi Rich, thanks for commenting!

This is Windows 8, but the difference I think should be down to the installer. I have the most recent one, that installed the 16.3.15.1.driver. Apparently the driver expects this registry key, while the installer has not put it there. Looks like a bug to me.

I have tried completely removing the driver, but no change.

Please post the key values, cannot hurt if I know more about it I guess.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Nikola,

Snapshot of Registry attached.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Rich

Synaptics Registry.JPG

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
nsprljan
Visitor

I have an update - I do not know what did it, but it is not happening any more?! Perhaps I didn't restart properly after updating it, otherwise I don't have any other explanation. In any case, that would be my recommendation, in case anyone gets this too - just update with the latest from http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Nikola,

That’s good news:smileyhappy:

Is that registry value now present and correct?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
nsprljan
Visitor

I am afraid I spoke too soon - it's happening again. Now the additional question is - why only at certain time periods?

Regarding that registry value - HKCU\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\UltraNavPS2 - it is not there, but my guess is that is should not be there anyway as UltraNav is the branded tracpoint/tracpad combo by Synaptics for ThinkPads. Hmm, but you mentioned you have it on your VAIO...

Anyway, here's a screenshot (trying to get it uploaded...so hoepfully in the next post)

Message was edited by: nsprljan

profile.country.GB.title
nsprljan
Visitor

I could not insert an image as it hangs indefinitely on that action (?), so I am attaching it instead. After doing another pass in ProcMon I realised there is a bunch of other non-existent values that are being queried, but the UltraNav one is definitely the most frequent one. Another important observation that of all the events ProcMon recorded in an hour or so (and that would cover everything else) the SynTPEnh ones make for a hefty 17PERCENTAGESIGN of total!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

It has just struck me that the driver you are using doesn't seem to have been released by Sony. The most recent and only update is 16.2.16.3.

I suggest that you uninstall the current driver and then install the originall pre-installed driver followed by the update. Both are available from this link.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVT1511C5E/updates

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
nsprljan
Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the original preinstalled driver, which brought me back to version 16.2.16.3 (I had that one when I reported the problem first). Again the same behaviour.

The update is also 16.2.16.3, but seems it's 32-bit only. In any case, it did not change a thing under C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP (I diffed them).

BTW, figured out exactly when I get this frenzy of registry key queries - on each touchpad update (ie. press on a touchpad), so wasn't getting it when using a mouse.