Join now - be part of our community!

SVS1513C5E with OCZ Vector SSD 512GB

profile.country.en_GB.title
bronumski
Visitor

SVS1513C5E with OCZ Vector SSD 512GB

What successes / failures have people had with the SVS1513C5E or other dirivatives?

I purchased my latop in March and tried to install a brand new OCZ vector but it was not detected in the bios. Prior to that I was able to flash the drive and clone my existing HDD onto the SSD via my 10 year old pentium 4 rig without any problems.

Any success stories with model of SSD would be apreciated so that I can purchase a new SSD. Has anyone had any success with the Samsung 840 Pro? I believe the SSDs that come bundled with the VAIO are Samsung but no idea what product family they are based on.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.de_DE.title
testmymojo
Visitor

Hi,

I purchased my SVS1513C5E (with 320GB HDD) in April and tried to install a Samsung 840 Pro SSD. The Sony bios detects the SDD BUT I'm not getting Windows to run. First I cloned the HDD to SDD. Win8 is booting, ran for 5 Min and crashed. Afterwards no boot was possible anymore. Then I tried a clean Win 8 installation. The Vaio stopped working somewhere in the middle of the installation. Same with Win7. I also played with and without UEFI mode. Nothing worked.

The SSD itself is working in my PC (Win8 and Win7) and also in a two year old Sony Vaio S (Win7).

Tomorrow I have an appoitment with a Sony repair partner to check my notebook...

profile.country.en_GB.title
colby_gj
Visitor

Bronumski.

Like yourself I found the OCZ Vertex 4 was just not being detected by the bios. Cut
a long story short, I've installed Win 7 on this laptop. Can't stand Win 8,
using a Seagate XT hybrid drive.

I imaged the build, using Acronis, to a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB, installed the SSD,
and it boots/run fine. No problems so far.

System boots from cold to being able to use my apps in around 11 secs.

My initial thoughts was that the dip switch next to the HDD plug might have played
some role in setting the HDD connectivity options, and was worried that having
bought the laptop with a 320Gb mechanical HDD, that in using any kind off
SSD, the switches would need changing, but obviously as I have found out this
is not the case.

Anyone out there know what the DIP switch settings are for?

profile.country.de_CH.title
gianni_bonetti
Visitor

Hi,

got the same problem as testmymojo with installing a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB in a SVS1512Z9EB. It came originally with a 1TB HDD. I could image the original installation to a OCZ-Vertex2 256GB, but the same is not working for the Samsung 840 Pro. It will boot into Windows 8 but hang-up after a few seconds.

Installing Windows 8 or 7 stops at one point or another. It's a bit different with each try, but never successfull.

I've even go the Samsung SSD exchanged, no chance. Still not working.

@bronumski, any input from the Sony repair partner?

profile.country.de_AT.title
Vienna2000
Visitor

I swapped the existing HDD on my Vaio SVS1512Z9EB with a 256 GB OCZ Vertex 4. Did this after starting the Notebook and letting it finish the setup. Created the restore flash USB and then changed the disks. Plugged in the USB and restored the system to the SSD. All went without a hickup.

Had thought of all possible methods from cloning to using backup/restore, but this was the simplest method, especially with a new system