Join now - be part of our community!

System Recovery Disk failed - please help!

mfos
Visitor

System Recovery Disk failed - please help!

Hi there
My system recovery disk failed about 10 minutes into its run. It succesfully copied files to my recovery partition, at least it told me it had but failed during the recovery process.
Everytime i retry, i get a blue screen which says:
'A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer' I then have to force a restart.
There is a load of suggestions of what to do next under this message, which are no help.
Everytime i retry the system recovery disk, it will now only let me do a complete recovery. I'd like to get rid of the partition as it seems to be causing problems.
So at the moment i can't do anything as my vaio came with a pre installed version of XP home.

Any suggestions as i am going nuts!

Cheers

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mfos,

Welcome to Club Vaio, :slight_smile:

When start your VAIO press F2 repeatedly to enter the BIOS.
and restore your BIOS by pressing Press F9 to restore the default values press enter to confirm and then Press F10 to save and exit.

The if your Vaio came with a HDD Recovery partition, reboot your vaio again and press F10 repeatedly to start the recovery process. (without and disc's in the CD drive)

If you had a recovery disc supplied with Vaio then insert the recovery disc and try again..

What model Vaio do you have...?

Dekesh
Visitor

if you have still got your recovery partition then why dont u recover the vaio from the recovery partition instead of using the disk(s)?

mfos
Visitor

Just did as requested and selected C and D recovery option. Gave me an error "Failed to read the image file. Recover your computer again'.

My Vaio model is: VGN-FS315m

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Now that you have reset your BIOS to the default settings again does the recovery disc you created restore your Vaio..(here is a guide )

If not then you can contact vaio-Link and purchase a new set of recovery discs, unfortunately they cost 60 GBP plus.. :slight_frown:

mfos
Visitor

I've reset the BIOS settings a few times, and i have tried the 3 options in the menu when the recovery utility opens. Everytime i get: "Failed to read the image file. Recover your computer again'. The disks don't seem to work but i'm not sure its the disks and don't want to fork out £60 for new ones.
Is there another alternative i can try?

Cheers

Dekesh
Visitor

from your first post sounds to me like u havent deleted the recovery partition yet so recover the system from the hard drive recovery and leave the disks

mfos
Visitor

I get the same error with the disks and the recovery partition.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

The if your Vaio came with a HDD Recovery partition, reboot your vaio again and press F10 repeatedly to start the recovery process. (without and disc's in the CD drive)

That's what I suggested in my first reply, have you tried this mfos..?

mfos
Visitor

Please see my last post.
I've just tried your instructions again and i am getting the same 'failed to read the image file" error over and over again. The disk and the partition are giving back the same error. Somthing corrupted perhaps?