Join now - be part of our community!

SZ1XP - HARDDRIVE SHOWS LESS SIZE

rraguram
Visitor

SZ1XP - HARDDRIVE SHOWS LESS SIZE

Hi,

I just purchased SZ1XP and checked my Harddrive. The C drive is around 46.5 GB and the D Drive is 39.6 GB, which comes around 86.1GB. I verified with the technical support team and they told me that 7.5 GB should be used as hidden partition drive. So, how abt the remaining 7.4GB?? Anyone'd the same issue or is this normal?

The Fan noise is quite audible at all times, eventhough I opened just a notepad. Should anything needs to be configured in the VAIO Power Management to turn it to quite mode.

Anyone tried, dual booting with Linux. Will dual booting reduce the performance of the machine??

Suggestions are appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Kazm
Visitor

thats how it comes up for some reason. Mine is 60GB but came out as 47Gig or something like that.
Dont really know the explanation for that but just letting u know ur not alone.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi rraguram,

Welcome to Club Vaio, :slight_smile:

A simple explanation to the missing hard drive space is how manufactures calculate as apposed to how windows displays the space, also due to formating, partition sizes and cluster sizes.

profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

How many gramms are in one kilogramm? 1000 right?
And in a ton? 1000x1000 = 1000000 grams.
And in a gigaton? 1000x1000x1000 = 1000000000 grams

How many bytes are in kilobyte? 1024.
How many kb are in one MB? 1024.
How many MB are in one GB? 1024.
So one GB has 1024x1024x1024 = 1073741824 bytes.

The harddisc manufacturer quotes the capacity of a drive in giga bytes, but this means giga as in natural science, or 1 billion bytes. Not 1.073741824 billion bytes.

If you format the drive, you will generally have a formatted capacity of roughly [quoted capacity] / 1.07 or in your case 100 / 1.07 = 93.45 GB. The values variate a bit since the actual total disc capacity is usually a bit higher than what is stated.

This is the case for EVERY SINGLE HARDDISC in the industry.
If you go to a shop in your town now, buy a 250GB drive, install it and format it, you will see the same thing.

Hope this helped. ;-]

rraguram
Visitor

Excellent Dilbert...that really helps. I also tried verifying the disk size in my work computer and it works the same way.

Goblinx
Visitor

Maybe this make you write with numbers...

There is a recovery partition using about 7.4GB of your hard drive... You can save and remove it for use...