Join now - be part of our community!

The new S5 and Memory Upgrade

emqvaio
Visitor

The new S5 and Memory Upgrade

Hi there,
My new VGN-S5HP comes with 512MB ram and the following specs: DDR2 533 Mhz.
When looking for Vaio Accessories Memory options the only memory upgrade available is module VGP-MM512L which is DDR2 400 Mhz.
Could anyone please explain me how this is possible and if there is any problem about mixing those two types of memory ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

24 REPLIES 24
blue1901
Visitor

y do u care?! u just bought a pc with 512 RAM to upgrade it? if ur not happy with 512, return it! but 512 is fine. there is no difference, windows use the paging file anyway...

emqvaio
Visitor

Considering that the main question was not answered I still would like to know about eventual problems regarding mixing those two types of memory.

blue1901
Visitor

http://www.vaio-link.com/accessories/compat/compat.asp?l=nl&m=2037&c=10 When u remove the RAM cover, u dont find the existing 512 RAM, u find a slot only, that doesnt mean ur pc is working without a RAM but that means that the internal preistalled RAM is different than the extra one, thats all. the one inside is 533 and the one u can add is 400

emqvaio
Visitor

Thanks for your reply but I still have some doubts:
There are TWO slots in the S5 Vaio, one of them with 512MB DDR2 533 installed and the other available for an upgrade. The problem is that Sony recommends the DDR2 400 module and I wonder if this is the correct solution, because it should be 533 like the one installed in the other slot.
Does anyone know if mixing these two types of memory doesnt affect the computer performance.
Thanks again for any help.

ant1uk
Visitor

does your model get hot at the bottom around the right side

emqvaio
Visitor

What does it have to do with the main question issued here ?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Emqvaio,

As I understand, if you use DDR2 400 modules in combination with the existing DDR2 533 it will revert to the lowest speed ie 400.

DDR2 533 modules are available for your model, and although not specifically listed for your model by Crucial, I suggest that you give them a call – it will be a much cheaper alternative to Sony RAM.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

I'm fairly certain that you'd be better off with DDR2 533 otherwise the whole machine would slow to the lower access speed.

I'd check with a couple of independant memory suppliers (Crucial and Kingston are probably your best bet)

chris_lewis
Visitor

FYI Sony memory is most often made by Infineon, In my experience with RAM a total spec match is always best,

C