Join now - be part of our community!

TX2 question, sim/sms

globalinsites
Visitor

TX2 question, sim/sms

I'm considering buying a TX2 notebook for mobile use. As far as I can tell it's not possible to insert a sim card in it directly which is possible with the FlyBook for example. Inserting it directly would be better than having to use a pc card with a sim (no extra weight, no card sticking out). Anyway, my actual question: once I use the notebook with a pc card and sim, can I use the notebook to send and receive sms? I need to be able to receive sms notifications which I don't want to receive on my phone's sim, I also need to be able to hear a sound when I receive sms (the notifications I receive are server notifications, for example when a server goes down).

Does the notebook have sms software installed? If not, is there any good (external) software available that I can use for sms?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
BartK
Visitor

Since the notebook is indeed not ready with build-in GSM functions, there is no SMS and other SW bundled.
Youcan however connect a bluetooth phone to it, and depending on your phone find maybe SW on the net that allows these features.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

There are pleanty of SMS programs, but as Bart said you need to have a mobile phone connected to your VAIO to send them.

Unless you have an o2 account...

globalinsites
Visitor

Thanks. But there is a pc card with SIM in the notebook? Why do I need to connect a bluetooth phone to it then? I don't understand.. I don't think it should be necessary?

I read in the specs that the TX2 has a pc card slot, the guy in the shop told me that it has an express card slot. He told me that phone providers don't have suitable express cards for data yet. Which is strange because most of the new subnotebooks have an express card slot and not a pc card slot, if what he was saying is true. Can someone confirm if the TX2 has a pc card slot or express card slot?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Unless you have that Vodafone 3G card, then no.

PCI Express is a graphics card standard, nothing to do with PCMCIA