Join now - be part of our community!

Ultrabook Duo Recovery Media And Vaio Care

profile.country.en_GB.title
hiro123
Visitor

Ultrabook Duo Recovery Media And Vaio Care

hello All,

I just bought the new Ultrabook Duo Vaio

SVD112A1SM  with Windows 8 on it. Its very nice.

I want to backit up and create Recovery Media.  BUT on closer inspection its noted in teh booklet that Recovery media cannot be created from a USB 3 port . - which is all this ultrabook has ( 2 of them) So how do I create recovery media ( there is not optical drive either so that's out)

Perhaps i should just clone the whole SSD to an image - anyone know of a good way of doing this ? And how I would then put the image back onto the SSD from a regualr external USB drive?

One other thing. Vaiocare does not recognise this model of Duo - so it would seem sony have released a notebook that they don't support via vaiocare nor one is able to create recovery media. I am worried to change anything now as I wanted to create a fresh backup before installing other programs. E. G remove the Mcaffee it come with and put on windows defender...

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi hiro123 and welcome.

The reason your model is not recognised is because you are quoting an invalid model.  You are quoting the chassis model that is shared by more than one Vaio model.  Have a look for another model number.

The correct model number will be SVD1121**EB and the two missing characters ** will be one of C5, P2, Q2, X9 or Z9 depending on the specifications of your model.

This is such a new model, you may have to speak to Vaio Support about the Recovery Media.  It is my understanding that you can use the USB3 ports to make recovery media BUT you cannot use a USB3 supported USB Flash Drive - you must use a standard USB2 Flash Drive or external USB2 cabled DVD Burner.

Any Recovery Media you make will only be the factory setup - any new software, data or settings will not be backed up.  You will have to perform a separate backup process.  Have a read of your Troubleshooting and Recovery Guide here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/consumer/4445110111.pdf

Alternatively, you can make a 'mirror' of your SSD on an external hard drive, including all settings, data, programs, operating system, but you will need additional software.  Acronis True Image is one favorite - but make sure it is Windows 8 compatible.  You can add incremental backups to your 'mirror' and recover the whole SSD or single files or folders.

:thinking:

hiro123
Visitor

Hi, thanks.

The Model name is SVD1121Q2EB but the system can't find itself via the Vaio Care software.

The recovery guide is not much help if you have a 128GB SSD

I bought Acronis True Image and I can make  a backup but it won't let me Clone the Disk as it won't detect an external HDD via the Software and USB 2 in the USB3 port unfortunately - although it allow it to do a regular backup through this port - it won't allow a drive clone- which is what I want in case the drive crashes etc...

I guess I will have to remove the SSD from the Duo11 and clone it outside of the Duo.

How do I open the DUO and remove the SSD - any guides for that please?

Thanks

Atticmaster
New

Hi Hiro123

I have just bought a Vaio T13 touch and had the same problem registering my device with Sony. I rang them and they told me it was an issue with Windows 8 and that they are working on it

Re Recovery Media,  I attached a external DVD writer and created 5 Recovery DVDs, just give yourself plenty of time..... it takes ages

Hope this helps

Atticmaster

hiro123
Visitor

thanks - so its a problem with windows 8 - okay - i have bought an external drive and done it, when i backup there is a partition that wont backup - not sure which are necessary and which i can delete i.e can i delete the recovery partition to get more space.

HAs anyone tried to plugin an external monitor to one of these models  - not sure if my vga port is broken but the colours are horrible compared to my other vaios.

cheers