Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to launch windows - Please Help......

balusiddhan
Visitor

Unable to launch windows - Please Help......

Hello everyone,

I have a 1 year old sony vaio (FE31Z) laptop with windows XP media centre edition.

For the past 5 days I have a problem.
Whenever I start my laptop it says:
The last attempt to restart the system from its previous location failed. Attempt to restart again?
I am given two options,
Option 1: Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu,
Option 2: Continue with system restart.

When I click option 2 to continue with system restart, a blue screen appears with an error message, which reads like,
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to revent damage to your computer" and a error code "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" comes up.
This blue screen flashes for a second and later the system keeps coming back to the initial black error screen with the two options as mentioned earlier.

I m not sure about clicking on the first option because I don't want to caues a problem by deleting my restoration data. I am not able to use my computer, please help.

My warrenty period has ended and so opened a case in vaio e-support asking for help, but I have not got a reply from sony e-support for the past 3 days........

Your help will be much appreciated.....

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi balusiddhan and welcome to Club Vaio.

Are you resuming from Hibernate Mode? Was your computer closed down?

This message is occasionally displayed when resuming from hibernation and the 'memory snapshot' it is trying to read is corrupted.

You need to select "Delete Restoration Data and proceed to the System Boot Menu" and your Vaio should boot normally. Unfortunately you will lose the Hiberfil.sys file and any work unsaved at Hibernation will be lost but anything saved should be OK.

As a precaution it may be worth disabling hibernation and re-enabling it again.

This does happen from time to time and I would only start to worry if it does it again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907477

:wink:

balusiddhan
Visitor

Hello Blencogo,

Thankyou very much for your advise. I clicked the delete restoration and proceed option and the system booted normally.

As you said, the laptop was not shut down properly the last time and I think it should have gone into hibernation mode at night and the error came up in the morning when I switched it on again. Luckily I did not loose any data.

As you said I disabled and re-enabled the hibernation option in the system.

I dont know how much I can thank you for the prompt and appropriate reply.

Whenever I try start the Adobe premier elements video editing software which came pre installed with the vaio, it doesnt start up. Its been happening for a while now. I would appreciate if could shed some light on this issue aswell.

Thankx,
Balu