Join now - be part of our community!

upgrade?

janmyk21
Visitor

upgrade?

HI Guys! i have a sony vaio vgn-s1vp is it possible to upgrade the graphics card? if yes..what graphics card would you recommend? thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

HI Guys! i have a sony vaio vgn-s1vp is it possible to upgrade the graphics card?  if yes..what graphics card would you recommend? thanks.

Thats not possible

hldomster
Visitor

Could you not get a plug in USB graphics card?. My friend has a USB sound card, but I don't know if it is any good.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Could you not get a plug in USB graphics card?. My friend has a USB sound card, but I don't know if it is any good.

Nope

Stephanius
Visitor

The problem is that the graphics chipset is part of the notebook's mainboard, so physically it can not be exchanged. Even if the graphics card is on a daughterboard, the connections are typically proprietary unlike standard connections found on desktop hardware.

Furthermore, no port that the unit offers be it Hi-Speed USB or any other has enough bandwith to allow a high performance graphic chipset to be connected adequately to the system. That is why external graphic cards do not exist.

Today's notebooks including yours do have does have the high speed and high bandwith AGP or PCI Express for Graphics connections but they are used by the internal graphics chipset.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

It gives some PCMCIA graphiccards. But they are not for games, have little RAM and are very slow.