Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading a PCG-GRX316G

Eltharion
Visitor

Upgrading a PCG-GRX316G

Hi.

My PCG-GRX316G needs a new hard drive and I'm curious what a size or model I should choose. My Sony distributor said, that all his drives need about a month for delivery and I have to buy them without a chance to return them if they do not work properly. Also I wanted a faster (the original had had only about 4000 rpm) and bigger (more than 20 GB) drive and he told me, that it's possible, that bigger hard drives wouldn't get recognized by the BIOS (not only a smaller sized drive, no drive!). What is the max. hard disk size for this laptop? Where can I get BIOS upgrades in case I need one?

What is with memory upgrades. I have read somewhere in the net, that this model is able to work with two 512 MB memory DIMMs. Can anybody confirm that information? Sony says it's max. 2x256 MB possible.

Last question: Where can I buy memory and hard drive for a convenient price in germany?

Thank you in advance,

E*

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Welcome to ClubVAIO!

What is the max. hard disk size for this laptop? Where can I get BIOS upgrades in case I need one?

Looks like the limit is 20GB for your machine, its due to the BIOS, and updates can be officially found here on VAIO-Link. Be careful with BIOS updates because if they fail you may have little comeback when dealing with Sony. In addition they can sometimes fail and render your computer useless. You have been warned.

What is with memory upgrades. I have read somewhere in the net, that this model is able to work with two 512 MB memory DIMMs. Can anybody confirm that information? Sony says it's max. 2x256 MB possible.

Some American (USA) models for select models of VAIO's can in fact use 2x512MB but I am not sure on this, especially if you own a European model. I remember Kee-Lo saying that the GRX did have early memory failures associated with the computer so just tread with caution and you may be OK. This may not be the case now.

Last question: Where can I buy memory and hard drive for a convenient price in germany?

Try Crucial - I think they can deliver worldwide but don't quote me on that!:smileywink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I remember someone fitting a 60GB Hitatchi Travelstar 5400RPM to their GRX316x

robpaxton
Explorer

My GRX316SP came fitted with a 40GB drive so 60GB or even 80GB shouldn't be a problem.

kee-lo_

That model is a few months older than mine.

Eltharion
Visitor

Hi all.

Many thanks to everybody who posted answers to my question. I decided to upgrade the memory to 512 MB (2x256). I got the module from an ebay seller and it works very well. The defective 20 GB hard drive I replaced with a hitachi travelstar 5k80 (80 GB, ATA5, bought by ayoo.de). It works well without any BIOS upgrade. My system has now a much better (!) performance as with the slow hard disk and I'm now very happy with my VAIO.

Kind regards,

E*

kee-lo_

Excellent news.