Join now - be part of our community!

Windows2000 on a VAIO VGN-A217S

dido123
Visitor

Windows2000 on a VAIO VGN-A217S

Hi,

I have a question regarding Windows2000 Pro installation on a VAIO VGN-A217S laptop with a preinstalled XP Home edition.

I tried to install Win2K on my laptop - installation was OK but I got a lot of unrecognized devices - SONY provide drivers for XP only. After a lot of tweaking I managed to set up the video driver, sound card driver, flash card reader driver and the LAN (I used an Intel-downloaded driver, not the original one).

For now I've got under 'Uknown Devices' a network card - I suppose the WI-FI adapter and a couple of USB devices. I coldn't install the WI-FI driver from SONY. I couldn't also run the external buttons support software - the buttons (sound volume +-, DVD eject button, etc.) do not function at all.

My question is - does anybody have experience installing WIN2K on a VGN-A217S - is it possible to have it totally fit under WIN2K with all the devices and extended functions working properly, or I should resort to WINXP Pro installation (As the XP Home Edition doesn't satisfy my needs, and I don't like the XP line at all)?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I personally wouldn't bother unless it was 100% necessary

dido123
Visitor

I have a problem running Novell Client over XP - get STOP 0x0000000E blue-screens-of-death on certain occassions. The ??bug?? is documented and has no resolution at the moment, so I prefer Win2K - it works with no problem.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Ah I see, that#s a nit of a nuisense.

I guess if you don't need Sony software it's no biggie.