Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading a T1XP

davidgsteadman
Visitor

Upgrading a T1XP

I've had a fantastic little T1XP for a couple of years, but its constantly running out of disk space. I'm wondering about making the upgrade.

Scan (UK IT Supplier) have got some notebook hard drives:
- http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=377806

I've got the original backup disks I made when I got the PC, but what else do I need to know?

If anyone has successfully done this upgrade, I'd be grateful for any insight on the issues I need to lookout for. Additionally, if there are any pictures of the inside of a T1, it would be nice to see the patient before I operate.

Cheers.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi,

I'm afraid there is a price to pay for a very small Vaio !!

The hard disc in the T-Series Vaio is not a standard laptop 2.5 inch drive. The T-Series takes a 1.8 inch drive (a bit like the one in a iPod) and up 'til recently, 40GB was the biggest you could get.

80 GB is now available and I think there is a 100 GB out now.

A word of warning. The interfaces for different makes is different so you need to establish the make of your present drive - it is usually Toshiba or Hitachi - and you need to find a new one with the same interface.

They are not cheap !!

:wink:

davidgsteadman
Visitor

Thanks for the info.

When you talk about the interface, I assume you aren't referring to IDE(PATA) or SATA interfaces. The T1 is a few years old now and I think it could predate SATA.
For now though, until I find some more concrete information though, I think I'll just live with what I've got.

It was nice to stumble across a proper memory upgrade web page though:
- http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/tutorials/memory/memory.asp?m=1739&l=en

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Here is the 100GB Toshiba 1.8 inch - this has only just hit the streets.

You will need to look in Device Manager to see it you have a Toshiba or a Hitachi drive as they do have a different connector even though they are both IDE ATA drives.

80GB is the biggest I can find from Hitachi 1.8 inch

:thinking:

davidgsteadman
Visitor

Well, the good news is that I have a Toshiba drive. The bad news is that I can't find a seller for the new 100GByte drive (I think your link was to a 40GByte one). As always, its one thing to find bleeding-edge stuff on a review site, its a completely different story to find a reliable seller to actually get one at a respectable price.

Not really anywhere to go from here. I guess I just got to keep a look out for one.