Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading Vaio PCK-K315S from 512 to 1gb

Dragari
Visitor

Upgrading Vaio PCK-K315S from 512 to 1gb

I have a PCG-315S and I decided to upgrade the memory. IT came with 2 * 256 so I bought 2 512 so-dimms from OCZ
(OCZ333512VSO. I instgalled them and the system booted fine, however it still claims to only have 512 memory total and I just cannot understand why 😞 Does anyone have any ideas? If the memory was incompatible I would expect it to just not work , not show half value.

Thanks for any help

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dragari and welcome to Club Vaio.

What are you using to look for the amount of RAM? Are you looking at Start -> Control Panel -> System? Or are you using a software scan? As you are using DDR (Double Data Rate) RAM, some software may report half the amount installed.

Try resetting the modules in their slots and make sure they are fully clipped in.

You could try removing the modules in turn and see what is reported - just in case one module is faulty.

:thinking:

Dragari
Visitor

Hi there,

So far I have looked at the system from control panel and at the bios, and both say there is only 512 ram instead of 1024. They both claim 2 256 are installed (as does the crucial system scanner I happened to try running). I have tried just 1 module and it claims there is 256. Using 1 new 512 and 1 old 256 the bios and system claim both are 256, and I have also tried reinserting them. I just do not know what else to try, its not behaviour I have ever seen before 😞

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I would contact the vendor of the memory you bought. It sounds like they have sent you 2 X 256MB modules - perhaps a batch was mis-labeled?

:thinking: