Join now - be part of our community!

USB device not recognized (any)

Joh
Visitor

USB device not recognized (any)

Hi,

Since a few days I get the message 'USB device not recognized' for every USB device I connect (camera, printer, extra hard disk). Although not every.... my USB mouse is still working when I connect. Yesterday I did a recovery for my C-drive. I own a PCV-V1/G. Still I continue to have the problem. Who can help me? Other question: When you do a recovery of C, is the drive then formatted?

Thanks,
Johanna.

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.de_DE.title
itbroker
Visitor

Did you tried install the USB drivers again ?

You can download all from Download Area...

Joh
Visitor

I've had a look but appearantly these drivers are not for XP (I have XP) only for ME, 98, etc. 😞

Joh
Visitor

Sorry I was mistaking (I've seen so much sites the last few days). These drivers are not necessary if you have used the recovery CD it says... and I did so I didn't give these drivers a try. But you never know... I will do this know and come back with more info.

Joh
Visitor

Hi again,
I've downloaded and checked but the drivers are the same 😞
More ideas?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Go to device manager (right click my computer, click on properties, click on the hardware tab, click on the device manager button).
Open the tree USB by pressing on the + next to it.
Right click and uninstall the USB hubs.
Restart your VAIO

Joh
Visitor

Hi Kee-Lo,
I tried this but sometimes my system goes 'hanging' or my infrared mouse/keyboard (which work with ir and usb) hang. Yesterday I did a complete clean install but... no luck. I tried to attach a usb 1.1 stick. This was OK. Anything that has to do with 2.0 (camera, other usb stick, WD hard drive and HP printer) won't work 😞

kee-lo_

Hi Joannah

Only one of the ports seem to be USB 2.0 too
If you can borrow a powered USB2 hub that might help.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Anything that has to do with 2.0 (camera, other usb stick, WD hard drive and HP printer) won't work 😞

Normally a USB2.0 device is downgrade compatible. If you would connect a Printer or a Camera which supports USB2.0, with an USB1.1 Port then you would have only a lower speed (approx 11Mbit/s). That's the only thing.

It's that the USB-Port itself is the problem, maybe any hardware fault.

kee-lo_

Depends how much juice it's pulling from the USB hub too seb