Join now - be part of our community!

VGC-V2M and Wi-Fi

PapaB
Visitor

VGC-V2M and Wi-Fi

I have a VGC-V2M and a four year old Toshiba Satellite S-1800 laptop. I also have a 2mb. AOL Broadband Connection. All I want to do is share my Broadband and files with my laptop.
Am very confused as to what I need to purchase. Would a simple router, plus a PCMIA card Wi-Fi adapter (for the Toshiba) suffice ?? Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi PapaB

You're right there, you'd have to have the V2M wired to the router (unless you want to go wireless then you'll need another PCMCIA card

I recomend this router and this card

PapaB
Visitor

Hi. Many thanks for your help. I have checked out the router, but it states that I require an external cable or DSL modem with an Ethernet interface. I currently have a B.T. Voyager 100 and don't think this complies. Does this mean I will have to puchase a new modem as well ?? Sorry to appear so ignorant !!

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Hi PapaB,

The B.T. Voyager 100 is a ADSL Modem. If you want share the internet connection then you would need a ADSL Router, like Kee-Lo said.

You could share this connection with the modem also. But you must connect Computer A with the Computer B which is connect with the Modem. Then you must configure a internet connection via network on Computer A. Because Computer B has the internet connection.

But you can use the interernt with Computer A only if the Compute B is ON.

HTH

mvanwambeke
Visitor

The best way is probably to purchase a router via your internet provider. Most of the time, they have nice pre-assembled packages for small networking.
( this gives you the advantage that you have support for setting this up by your ISP)
The V2M has a wireless card so you could purchase a wireless router (of course you'll have to check if you other computer has one as well)

This would save you the hassle of dragging round with cables.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

PapaB

Scrap that - this one is a good router which has a firewall too, and you don't need the BT Voyager anymore.

As for cards, well Belkin are always good as they offer a lifetime warranty I use this one excellent value for money

eBuyer has some great bundles too