Join now - be part of our community!

USB hub & docking station problem

colinmann
Visitor

USB hub & docking station problem

Hi

I've just brought a new VGN-FS215Z, however no usb hub I have works out of the USB ports of the docking station. They all work fine out of the USB ports of the laptop directly. Any ideas? I keep getting the error message of "Power Surge". Weird... I've looked into disabling the message, but this doesn't work either. The USB ports are active, but only for single devices.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers, Colin:smileycry:

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

The "Power Surge" warning message is indicating that the USB port is drawing more than the max allowed (500 milliamps), but why this should happen on the docking station and not the on board notebook USB ports I have no idea.
I take it that you are using a self powered hub?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
colinmann
Visitor

I take it that you are using a self powered hub?
Yes - thats right - its a powered USB hub. Really weird problem isn't it? What do you think? Any ideas? The docking station works fine aside from this...

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Yes, it is a weird problem and I must admit that I am stumped on this one at present! I can only think that there is a USB hardware problem on the docking station.
Perhaps someone else with further experience of this problem can give some input?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I agree with Rich, there's not enough power getting to the docking station.

If you can use a USB on the notebook itself it would possibly work

colinmann
Visitor

If this is a problem with the docking station power isn't this a problem for Sony? I'm surprised that noone else has reported this error. I am in the IT business myself - and I have a lot of USB pretherals, which is why I need a hub. I was under the assuption that my docking station meant that I would just sink my laptop in & off it went.

I love my laptop, I think its the best for the class & just what I need... just a little thing you know 😉

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The strange thing is your hub doesn't work even when powered externally.

Yes, definately one for Sony