Join now - be part of our community!

USM16GLX 16GB MicroVault Click Excellence - capacity issue

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
supersub70
Visitor

USM16GLX 16GB MicroVault Click Excellence - capacity issue

Hi - I've been given a Sony USB stick which is marked and sold as a 16GB drive however when formatted it only shows as 4GB avilable. I have formatted the drive in both FAT32 and NTFS and both return the same total capacity (4GB) - Is it possible a 16GB chasis has been mixed up with a 4GB stick at the factory? Or is there something else I'm missing here?

Regards

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi littlejon87,

The 4GB transfer limit would suggest that the Flash Drive is formatted as Fat32 – 4GB being the maximum file size that can be stored on a FAT32 volume. Fomating the drive as NTFS should solve the problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
supersub70
Visitor

Cancel that! My USB had been partitioned for use with a Juniper Device (somehow).

for info I ran a cmd.exe then as follows;

1. Diskpart

2. Select disk 1 (assuming the USB is assigned disk 1 - check in Windows Disk management first!!!)

3 .Clean

4. Create Partition Primary

5. Select Partition 1

6. Active

7. format fs=fat32

8. assign

9. exit

NOTE: I actaully only followed to point 3 then went to the Windows Disk Management console to do the rest.

Happy Days

:slight_smile:

littlejon87
Visitor

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem, although my 16gb shows it has the 16gb free.

when I try to transfer a file of 8.5gb it says the file is too large, same with 4.5gb. Anything below 4gb does fit however.

So is there a file size transfer limit?  Or is the software that comes with it meant to 'simulate' a larger drive, and it's actually only a 4gb drive?

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi littlejon87,

The 4GB transfer limit would suggest that the Flash Drive is formatted as Fat32 – 4GB being the maximum file size that can be stored on a FAT32 volume. Fomating the drive as NTFS should solve the problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
littlejon87
Visitor

Thanks for the info!  Re-formatted it and works a charm - thanks

When I reformatted it, it asked for allocation unit size?  Do I need to bother changing any of this? I left it at 4kb

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi littlejon8,

Please to hear that this solved your problem :slight_smile:

4kb is the default and max cluster size for the drive capacity you are using. If it is working leave well alone.

Rich.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat